PDA

View Full Version : Too weak with AA?

Illininate
01-03-2004, 06:07 AM
Party Poker 1/2, loose table.

I'm dealt A /images/graemlins/club.gifA /images/graemlins/diamond.gif in middle position.

UTG and UTG+1 fold, MP1 open-raises, I 3-bet, folds across the board to MP1, who calls.

Okay, so now I'm thinking he can have a number of hands. Lots of players won't cap preflop even with AA, so for all I know he has anywhere from AA to maybe 99, as well as maybe AK, AQ, etc.

Flop: Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

MP1 bets, I raise, he 3-bets, I call.

So, now I'm curious. He obviously likes the flop, enough to 3-bet it. He knows I have a good hand from my preflop 3-bet, so when he reraises me, it really makes me start to think he's on QQ. So, I go into check-call mode:

Turn: J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

MP1 bets, I call.

River: 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

MP1 bets, I call.

He turns over A /images/graemlins/heart.gifQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, and my hand is good.

Was it too much of a leap for me to put him on QQ and turn passive? Should I have capped the flop to put him to the test, so if he bet into me on the turn I'd know better? I guess I know I should have 1 or 2 more BB from this hand, but it seems like everything pointed to me being beat.

Thanks,

Nate

Dylan Wade
01-03-2004, 06:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Okay, so now I'm thinking he can have a number of hands. Lots of players won't cap preflop even with AA, so for all I know he has anywhere from AA to maybe 99, as well as maybe AK, AQ, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

whoa buddy. unless you have this particular guy locked down as super passive, an mp open-raise isn't comming from that range of hands. it's a way lower range.

Flop: Q 6 5

MP1 bets, I raise, he 3-bets, I call.

[ QUOTE ]

So, now I'm curious. He obviously likes the flop, enough to 3-bet it. He knows I have a good hand from my preflop 3-bet, so when he reraises me, it really makes me start to think he's on QQ. So, I go into check-call mode:

[/ QUOTE ]

waywaywaywayway too early do do this. he's not on qq yet. Even if i had a rock solid read on a player, I'd still not give him credit for QQ yet. I'll give him credit for AQ AT BEST right now. He could even be holding something like QTs, if he's solid, and nothing at all if he's typical.

Raise the turn, if you get three-bet, then you can consider slowing down...

SoCalPat
01-03-2004, 07:20 AM
Cap the flop. It'll give you an idea if you have to go into check-call mode on the turn and river.

You've got to give me a much scarier board or significantly more aggression from your opponent to keep me from being the aggressor in this hand.

me454555
01-03-2004, 12:31 PM
Cap the flop, if he bets into you on the turn, you can put him on QQ, KK, or AA and play accordingly.

34TheTruth34
01-05-2004, 01:12 AM
If I just call the flop three-bet here, it is with the intention of raising the turn. This would be my default play in this situation. If you get three-bet on the turn, then slow it down, but not before then.