PDA

View Full Version : TTH advisor hands

illunious
01-02-2004, 07:18 PM
I just got TTH today. In the following hands the advisor recommended actions that I normally wouldn't do. Oviously that's the whole point of the program (to learn what I'm doing wrong), but I'd like to get a second opinion. Thanks!

The questionable plays are marked (?). I think almost all are normally folds for me.

All hands were 10 player, assume the players folded when no action is given.

A5s on button - EP calls, LP raises (call?)

KQs on button - EP raises, MP reraises (call?)

A6s in SB - MP raises, MP2 calls (call?)

Q9o on button - MP calls, MP2 calls (call?)

TT in MP - MP calls, I raise, BB calls, EP calls
- flop Qd 6d 4s
- BB checks, MP bets, I raise, MP calls
- turn 4c, MP checks, I bet, MP raises (call *or* reraise?)

89o in BB - MP raises, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, (call?)

88 in SB - CO raises, button reraises (call?)

77 in CO - folded to me, I raise, SB calls, BB calls
- flop 3d Ks Td
- SB checks, BB bets, (call?)
- turn Qs, SB checks, BB bets (call?)
- river 6d, SB checks, BB bets, I fold!

55 in CO - folded to me, I raise, BB calls
- flop Jd As 8c
- BB bets (call *or* raise?)

Q9s in MP - I call, button raises, BB reraises (call?)

88 in EP - (raise?)

Q3s in BB - EP calls, MP raises (call?)

A6s in UTG+3 - folded to me (raise?)
[next hand: A6s in UTG+2 - folded to me (fold?)]

KQo on button - MP raises (call?)

77 in BB - MP calls, MP2 calls, button calls, SB calls, I check
- flop Ad Qs 2s
- BB checks (bet?)

K7s in CO - UTG calls, MP calls (call?)

47s on button - folded to me (call?)

Q7s on button - EP calls, MP calls, (call?)

rayrns
01-03-2004, 10:41 AM
Some of these would really depend on player read. (Which you can't have here). In future posts, I would not list quite so many hands in one post.

A5s on button: This is player dependent. If LP was a blind stealer, I might re-raise to isolate him. If he was solid then I would fold.

KQs on button: I am most likely folding. Not many times am I cold-calling 3 bets.

A6s in SB: Fold

Q9o on button: Fold but if it had been Q9s, call.

TT in MP: Call the turn. Call the river unless I hit my set then raise.

89o in BB: Call You are getting 6:1 here, I'd take one off.

88 in SB: Again player dependant. Remember that players entering from LP don't need to have very strong hands. If button thought C/O was on a steal, he may be trying to isolate. Or they could both be on lesser hands such as AJo, KTs etc. You'd be getting 2:1 and you might be ahead and worth a call.

77 in C/O:Unless on of the 7's is a diamond I am folding here. If I have a diamond and a back door flush possible, I may call and take one off to see if I can hit the set or get another diamond.

55 in C/O: I would likely fold. If not I would raise to see if he "really" likes his hand but fold to a re-raise.

Q9s in MP: I wouldn't have called pre-flop at all.

88 in EP: Limping or raising here can both be ok, depending on how the table has been playing. Will it get folded to the blinds? Raise If it is very loose/passive and will get many callers, Call.

Q3s in BB: Most of the time I'm folding but it is 2 suited. I would like a few more players to call though.

A6s UTG 2 & 3. Fold or limp in depending on table texture.

KQo on button. (I am just realizing how player dependant so many problems are. I have posted hands and wanted answers and now see that I haven't supplied that information either. Really going to have to know the players better myself) About 90% of the time, I'm folding unless the MP has a history of some weak starting hands, then maybe raise and try to isolate him.

77 in BB: If one of the 7's is a /images/graemlins/spade.gif then I'd want to bet out and help get rid of anyone with J, T, 9, 8 etc if possible. I might still bet out buti f you get raised then you can probably fold.

K7s in C/O: Although I would prefer having at least K9s here a call may be ok if you think the players still to act will call.

47s on button: If I thought the blinds would fold, then raise. If they will defend with anything, then fold.

Q7s on button: Call

Next time I would give each question a #1., 2., 3.etc. Then if someone just had an answer for some of the questions they could answer to the specified number. If I have made any bad suggestions, I hope someone will clear them up.

Mason Malmuth
01-03-2004, 01:04 PM
HI illunious:

A couple of months ago David and I took a look at TTH. We found the advice it gives and the playing quality of the tight aggressive players to be extremely lacking, and do not recommend it to be used in the way that you are trying to use it.

Best wishes,
Mason

illunious
01-03-2004, 02:41 PM
Thank you for taking the time to repond rayrns. Much appreciated!

illunious
01-03-2004, 03:06 PM
Hi Mason,

It sounds like you may have found it to be useful in some other way? How would you recommend using it?

Al_Capone_Junior
01-04-2004, 09:04 PM
Although I don't have the very latest version, all the previous versions have advisor advice that borderlines on 50% accurate. IGNORE the advisor. Still tho, the game is good practice for beginners, who should look at each situation as a hypothetical one that might occur in real life. They should decide what to do based on what they have read in their books. It's a good way to practice making good decisions quickly.

al

Al_Capone_Junior
01-04-2004, 09:23 PM
I believe TTHE uses a decision tree type system for all the players, and that this system can be edited and changed. However, I think it's really hard to use this system of decision making to make really good decisions in the face of complex information. So while the tight-aggressive players might actually be tight preflop, they make erratic decisions from start to finish. This is why I have always advocated using the program as if each situation were a hypothetical one that might occur in real life, books open. Once you are an advanced player, the program becomes pretty useless except as a teaching tool for your apprentice. I suppose the sims have some usefulness, but I believe it's fairly limited what can really be deduced from sims. How hands act heads up hot and cold can be deduced well from sims I suppose.

al

Mason Malmuth
01-04-2004, 09:42 PM
Hi Al:

While everything you say just might be true, I think there is a lot more to it than this. When you watch a type aggressive player calling three bets cold with queen-ten offsuit it becomes clear very fast that their problem is much more than decision trees.

Here's a quote from the letter we sent Bob Wilson:

To sum it up quickly, it is awful. It only only takes a few minutes to realize that whoever programmed this thing has very little concept of how limit hold 'em should be played.

For example, players in your tight aggressive lineup were calling raises preflop with hands as weak as ten-seven offsuit. They were calling triple raises cold with queen-ten offsuit.

Now even with this being said. TTH probably has some value for a beginner who needs to get use to the mechanics of play.

Best wishes,
Mason

blackaces13
01-04-2004, 11:02 PM
All I know is that the TTH advisor outperforms Smilin' Mack against almost all line-ups. Including the tough ones.