PDA

View Full Version : Is there cross training effects of different games?

bilyin
01-02-2004, 06:32 PM
If a player plays one game well, say Holdem. Would this player improve his Holdem if he learns to play another game?

Warren Whitmore
01-02-2004, 06:45 PM
In my case definatly, measurably, and immediatly.

Acesover8s
01-02-2004, 11:21 PM
Yes, but there can also be negative aspects to this cross training as well. For example, I used to focus on limit holdem, I've now been playing Pot Limit Omaha almost exclusively.

The last two months I have been playing lots of NL holdem, and its been difficult to not "fear the nuts" as you must in PLO.

There are other examples for other games as well. But in all, its probably positive to learn as much about all games as you can.

dogsballs
01-03-2004, 10:07 PM
I think so. ...Well, I hope so...

It does have a benefit in that, if for some reason you're having a bad spell at your current regular game, whether you can or cannot put your finger on why, you can simply switch and play a different poker form. Sort of like breaking a bad run. I do this sometimes and think it works for me because I transition into the next game by initially playing squeaky tight.

DanZ
01-03-2004, 11:23 PM
If you have an excellent understanding of 2 games, it can certainly help. I spend more time thinking about how live my cards are at hold em because I learned to play stud, and I didn't think about this much before. It has served me pretty well I think. For example, If there are several limpers, I am very reluctant to raise a pair of tens in late position if I can expect the limpers to have medium- high cards. I am less likely than usualy to flop a set, and I don't want to build a pot that might tempt me to take one off with a 3 flush or 3 straight for a single flop bet, because of the reduced odds of spiking a ten.

However, if you erroneously apply concepts from other games, this can be very expensive. It is very easy to fall into such a trap. An example that I have seen on 2+2 is slowplaying bottom 2 at hold em until the river, as you might do in 7 stud with 2 small pair (in stud, you may wait until 6th street or the river). This is rarely correct in hold em, because you can often get someone to fold a mediocre pair on the turn (or even a good pair if they fear a set), and this can save the pot for you. This is very rare in seven stud. Also, the river card may make someone check a good pair, denying you the opportunity to raise - for example, a 3 flush completes, or an ace hits the board. There is much more to this topic, and more reasons that the one I gave for this, but I just wanted to briefly illustrate the point.

Dan Z.

bigpooch
01-06-2004, 06:59 AM
Playing other poker games should help your thinking in
holdem. It's also useful to learn other games because at
times when other games are initially spread, there is an
awful lot of action during the first month. Worthwhile
games to consider: NLHE, PL Omaha high and 7stud. I know
you must be playing some high draw only too, but it's not
likely to help your holdem game all that much.

Also, if you play any other games like backgammon, bridge,
or chess, it can relieve the tedium of the day to day grind
if you know what I mean. An excellent book to study is
Sklansky's Theory of Poker and that is all you need to cover
the basics of high only limit play. Of course, there is no
substitute for experience and card sense!

Mackas
01-06-2004, 07:55 PM
I would say learning more than one game properly will definitely help your overall game. Having said that, like cross training in any field, you have to be careful not to spread yourself too thinly.

Learning to play two games well is probably enough at the start IMHO and only start adding others once you're very comfortable with those. I don't speak as a poker great but as someone who wasted a few months trying to "master" everything. A lot of money later I rethought and stopped playing everything except NLHE and PLO, my two best games. Since then I've realised I had more than enough to learn with respect to those two without making life more difficult for myself.