PDA

View Full Version : General question: any good time to cold-call preflop?

Illininate
01-02-2004, 06:16 PM
I've just started using Poker Tracker, so my sample size is only around 700 hands or so, but one thing I've noticed is that I have not yet, under any cirumstance, cold-called 2+ bets preflop. When I started to think about it, I couldn't come up with any situation where I would call 2 cold preflop.. except in the rare situation where I'm holding some premium hand and it's been capped to me.

So, any advice? It just seems to me that if my preflop holding is good enough to call 2, it's probably good enough to raise with. Could this also show that I'm a little too tight with, say, midrange suited connectors? Or that I'm overplaying my above-average hands (JJ, TT, KQ, etc.)

Thanks

Nate

Ed Miller
01-02-2004, 06:22 PM
I don't cold-call often, but the most common hands I do it with are small/medium pocket pairs. If there are four players already in the pot, you usually need to be calling with any pair even if it has been raised once in front of you. But I certainly would not recommend 3-betting with 22.

rkiray
01-02-2004, 06:30 PM
I would only cold call with a pocket pair say 55-99 (maybe even TT) or with medium suited connectors say 67s to JQs if I was confident I'd have at least 3 opponents. Say 2 limper, and 1 raiser to me, or an ep raise with 2 cold callers (very rare). Of course if I thought I'd have more opponents it's even easier.