PDA

View Full Version : The Preflop Check-Raise!

Moyer
01-02-2004, 07:00 AM
There's a guy I've noticed at TGC .5/1 tables, does this quite often, no matter how many people are in the pot. He never wins the hands he does this on so I don't know what kind of hand he does this with. I actually think it pisses him off when someone raises, so he just reraises.

I saw him do this on the button once. He was one of several limpers, then the SB raised, everyone called, and this guy reraises! At first I thought it was collusion between him and the guy in the SB, but it's not.

Is this guy just crazy???

Dylan Wade
01-02-2004, 07:15 AM
maybe hes trying to isolate the raiser. though this is often a dumb play at these limits where all the limpers will surely call 2 more. it's even further dumb, imho, because players are often very passive at these tables, enough so that a raise could be construed as ace-king or better, so if you're ahead you probably should've raised in the first place. often players will limp-reraise with very strong hands, but i believe in these loose passive low limit games, raise-reraise is a far superior choice.

perhaps he is trying to isolate because he feels the raiser is loose, but once again, it may be futile to try this with marginal hands since your 3-bet will most likely get called in a couple spots. depending on the table of course.

and yes, my shift key is broken. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

edit; oh i re-read your post and noticed you specified 'and everyone called' between the raise and re-raise which pretty much rules out any isolation attempt. perhaps he thinks he has a decent shot at the pot and a 'if i can play for 2 i can play for 3' mentality.

Saborion
01-02-2004, 07:21 AM
There are players that do that kind of things. You noticed it, exploit it.

csuf_gambler
01-02-2004, 03:07 PM
i have seen quite a few players do this. if someone raises, they will reraise no matter what. retards.

CountDuckula
01-02-2004, 03:41 PM
I'm guessing his thinking is something like, "If I can't see the flop cheaply, I can at least build the pot so it's worth playing for." Or maybe it's, "Oh, you raised? Well, I can be a tough guy, too!" /images/graemlins/smile.gif Either way, I doubt he's a very good player.

-Mike

BaronVonCP
01-02-2004, 03:55 PM
Some people call it the limp-reraise.

Moyer
01-03-2004, 05:41 AM
Yeah, that's what I figured. Just had to make sure this wasn't some genius play I had managed to skip over in the books:) The rest of his play is equally rediculous.

Thanks for the replies.

Brian462
01-03-2004, 06:19 AM
There are times when this is not that bad of play. If you were to limp in from early position with a good multi-way hand, have about 7 people call and then have it raised by another player, you can reraise if you think that your going to win more than your fair share here and the limpers will all call.

Another example might be limping with TT UTG, having no callers to the maniac button who then raises the blinds out. A reraise here isn't that bad because your hand is probably going to be best here alot of the time.

The point is, I would never PLAN on limp-reraising in a micro limit game, but sometimes after you limp an opportunity for a reraise presents itself.

ArchAngel71857
01-03-2004, 01:02 PM
Lee Jones states that an "advanced" play is to limp with AA, AK, or KK on EP and then if someone raises, you re-raise. I don't think its that great of a play. So Usually, a limp reraise means AA, KK, or AK.

however, there are some people who get pissed off. Most often i ran into this at party 5/10 shorthanded. This guy was either tilting or something because he would limp reraise at a 6 max table. K5s, J7o, whatever. Once I became wise to it, i became rich. On another note, I ran into a player at SH tabes at TGC who would 3-bet me EVERY hand i raised. it was fun.

-AA