PDA

View Full Version : $1/2 Holdem

shortUB
01-02-2004, 01:11 AM
Dealt in Middle Position(seat 5): K /images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ /images/graemlins/club.gif

PreFlop: UTG calls , another EP calls , I call , Cutoff calls, SB calls , BB checks (+6)

Flop: Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gifJ /images/graemlins/spade.gif7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
SB raises, BB folds, both EP call, I reraise, button folds
All call(+14)

Turn: 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
Checked around to me, I check

River: 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
Checked around to me again and I check

What was the correct play?

shortUB
01-02-2004, 01:20 AM
change the turn from 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif to A /images/graemlins/heart.gif

lunchmeat
01-02-2004, 02:10 AM
Hey shortUB,

First some suggestions. Posts for 1/2 are generally made in the micro-limit forum, but no one will flip out if you post in small stakes. Also, you can edit your post by clicking the "edit" button just above the body of your post.

As far as the hand is concerned, I'd usually bet the turn and then check it down on the river. It's hard to value bet 2nd pair on the river against a bunch of calling stations, but I like betting the turn because it will make hands like bottom pair and 3rd pair fold. If you get raised after betting the turn, you can be pretty sure you're facing a better hand, but you should still call b/c you have at least 5 outs to improve to the best hand.

On major exception to betting the turn, however, is if a couple of your opponents will play any ace. In this case I'd check the turn just like you did, but I'd value bet the river if no one else bet either the turn or river.