PDA

View Full Version : Folded early with KK?

teatreeman
01-01-2004, 07:16 PM
Party Poker 0.50/1 (8 handed)
Hero has K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif and is EP1

Hero raises, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls

Flop(6 SB): 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif

SB bets, BB raises, Hero calls, SB calls -I had BB on either trips or flush draw. SB was a calling station

Turn(9 BB): 2/images/graemlins/club.gif

SB checks, BB bets, Hero folds, SB calls

River(11 BB): A/images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB checks, BB bets, SB calls

Did I fold early? I was playing a pretty tight game, and this was my best pre-flop cards I had for a while, and the BB was a good player (at least I assumed he was). This seems to happen a lot. I will fold top pair when a low pair shows up on the flop fearing trips.

Results below
In white:
<font color="white"> BB shows J-5 reds

My kings would have won. </font>

JDErickson
01-01-2004, 07:38 PM
I would have 3 bet the flop and if capped slow down. Depending on what happened on the turn I may have called it down or folded.

spamuell
01-01-2004, 07:39 PM
Unless I have a specific read on the BB that he will not raise a flop with a low pair without trips, I 3-bet the flop every time. This is almost definitely a value bet, although if the BB caps the flop and bets again on the turn, he's telling you that he probably has the 4 - I would still call down against an unknown player though, because there is still a significant chance your kings are good.

An important thing to remember at .5/1 is that when fishies flop trips they absolutely love to slowplay them to the turn, and I'd be much more worried about the BB if he flat called the SB's bet and then your raise, and then check-raised your turn bet. His raise on the flop is almost telling you that he doesn't have trip 4s.

[ QUOTE ]
I will fold top pair when a low pair shows up on the flop fearing trips.

[/ QUOTE ]

DON'T DO THIS! People are always more likely to be playing high cards than low ones, and you should never assume trips even if the flop comes KKx until the betting tells you differently.

You said that you consider the BB a good player - this means that there aren't many hands that he would have called with containing a 4 anyway.

Assuming trips because of one flop raise is weak, once again, 3-bet the flop and the hand plays differently from there depending on the action of the others. If you are flat-called, bet the turn if checked to and call a raise, then call the river bet. If you are bet into on the turn, I would probably just call because a complete blank has fallen so it is unlikely that your opponents' hands have improved, and if you raise it's possible they'll fold anyway, so this way you are minimising your losses when you're behind and maxmising when ahead.

ramjam
01-01-2004, 07:48 PM
I think you needed to 3-bet the flop because (i) you were probably ahead and (2) to find out better where you stood. Any J or any big flush draw could raise here. Nobody knows you've got KK and when you just call on the flop it looks like you don't have a big pair or AJ. Also, expect trips to be slowplayed at this level.

If you had 3-bet, a typical player would be unlikely to bet into you on the turn without a hand that beats you. As it is, any pair can bet thinking they're ahead. Also, the 3-bet would set you up to (again, against typical players) folding to a turn check-raise.

Just folding to a turn bet is also dangerous because somebody with a big club could just be semi-bluffing. I don't know if this has yet spread to Party 0.5/1 but I'm seeing lots of it elsewhere.