PDA

View Full Version : Between a rock and a fish

ramjam
01-01-2004, 07:11 PM
UB 0.5/1. I open raise with Q /images/graemlins/heart.gifQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif in MP, granite-like button 3-bets, aquatic SB calls, BB folds, I call.

Flop: 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif T /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Fish checks, I bet, rock raises, fish calls two cold, I 3-bet, rock calls, fish calls.

Turn: 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Fish checks, I bet, rock calls, fish calls.

River: 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Fish checks, I check, rock bets, fish calls, I call.

How did I do? Suggestions? Heads up against the rock this would have been a straightforward check-call to the river but the presence of the fish (who I'd put on any ace, any-two-broadway or any pocket pair) complicated matters for me.

ramjam
01-01-2004, 07:14 PM
Rock K /images/graemlins/diamond.gifK /images/graemlins/spade.gif
Fish A /images/graemlins/club.gifJ /images/graemlins/club.gif

chesspain
01-01-2004, 07:53 PM
I don't understand the three-bet on the flop. You said that the button was a rock...who three-bet preflop and raised you on the flop. Unless you think this piece of "granite" would play JJ or AK this aggressively, your hand is about ready to come out of the oven to be served.

In fact, despite the presence of the fish, I think you should have just checkcalled the turn, since there is no way that the button is throwing away what is likely a higher pocket pair. I think you got lucky that the button didn't raise you on the turn, which was probably only because he was scared by the second nine.

Of course, I understand why you made the crying call on the river, even though your crust was by then a golden brown and ready for carving. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

SpaceAce
01-01-2004, 08:11 PM
After you made such a big deal out of the button being a rock, how could you possibly think you were ahead after he raised the flop, called your reraise and called you down after the board paired? I know QQ is a very strong but a rock is a rock and since you have QQ, you have to believe he has KK or AA.

SpaceAce

ramjam
01-01-2004, 08:43 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
I don't understand the three-bet on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree it's pretty desparate (especially out of position). But should I have bet the flop and called down from there? Or gone into check-call mode from the time I was three-bet pre-flop? Or bet the flop, call a raise and then fold to a turn bet if the button bets again?

Does the presence of a third passive player alter the basic heads up approach? Although it offers a bigger return if I'm ahead and probably reduces somewhat the chances of losing to spiked A or K it also greatly reduces the chances that the button will play an unimproved AK in an overly muscular fashion. This seems to argue for more aggression on the flop but a quick fold if played back at.

Mike Gallo
01-01-2004, 10:47 PM
You made a good read but failed to act on it.

As other posters have pointed out, he played like a rock. Usually that means Aces or Kings.

GuidoSarducci
01-01-2004, 11:10 PM
If by "rock" you mean "tight/passive", then I can pretty much assure you that you're behind by the flop. If he had AK, he would have stopped raising when the flop misses him. Since he kept jamming after the flop, I can pretty much guarentee you you're facing down a pair of Men or the Rockets.

That re-raise over the top on the flop was a gold emblazoned invitation for you to drop your hand. All you're doing at this point is making it correct for the fish to call.