PDA

View Full Version : The well 's been dry.

06-12-2002, 06:03 PM
I am a low and medium limit Texas Hold’em player. I have been playing in South Louisiana and Mississippi for about three years. I have read all the books and articles on Hold’em that I can get my hands on. This past year I have begun to think of myself as a pretty good poker player based on my improved results and the comments of my peers.

Now for the problem: For the past five playing sessions I have been dealt very few playable starting cards. My losses have been very small and I have patiently resistied the temptations that hurt typical low-limit players. I have not been busted out of my first buy-in. My question is: Is this just a normal part of the random distribution of cards? After spending so much effort in improving my game it is frustrating to play good poker for a span of 200 hours with nothing to show for it.

Has this ever happened to you?

06-12-2002, 06:22 PM
the cards will come. its a patience game. some streaks are longer than that.

id still reanalyze my game for any mistakes. i do it anytime i go on a bad streak. just to be sure.

5 sessions? its really not as bad as it could be. my longest was 7 weeks. and it was pure hell. and i was catching flops.

but once ya make it through....

if need be, take a break for a couple days. clear your mind, then do the reanalysis. come at it with a fresh angle.

the good players learn how to weather the storm. eveyone looks good when there winning.

hang in there...

b

06-12-2002, 08:49 PM
I'd rather go through a streak of non-playable starting hands than a streak of strong second best hands. And you will see that happen too.

Hang in there. The cards will come.

06-13-2002, 12:14 AM
I have just started a horrific run of cards :o) I have not had many starting hands, and when I did -- oh boy...flush caught on river by boat...strait caught on river by flush...AKs to someone's slow-played AA with K and rags on board...AA taken down by trip 2s...etc etc etc...total losses >400$ -- I could have lost more, but as I started to sense the turning of the cards, I didn't push as hard (and no, none of the hands I got caught on would have been saved by raises, as they just made their good draws). Also, I missed 3 or 4 good flush draws and multi good strait draws.

As they say, sh*t happens :o)

Don't worry, things will turn back around...I am still up, as I have had a good week, but I have moved to lower limits for now till the cards & gods are more in my favor. I have also tightened way up, as there is no sense playing good, but speculative hands when the cards just aren't in the stars for you.

Things will turn around...just give it time and make sure that you enjoy playing...if you ever don't, or start think about the money etc, leave the game for a few days or so, till you can just play again.

You play poker your best when you have to ask, "I is it 1 or 2 green chips, as opposed to it that 20 or 40$ to me." Or so I believe....

06-13-2002, 12:46 AM
Thanks for all of your responses.

Now I can sleep tonight. I have the consolation of knowing that if any of the typical players in my game were to get the same run of bad starting cards they would be down over $1000. I am only $200 down.

Like Bernie suggested I have scrutinized my play and re-read three of my books. I think I learned how to plug a couple of leaks in my game because of this experience. I'll be back!

06-13-2002, 01:38 AM
I called her about your plight. She said soon you will have a period where your just cannot lose. Your draws will hit...Top pair will hold up at showdowns...and when you bluff....they will fold.

She told me that during this time your confidence in your game will increase dramatically. The temptation to play marginal holdings or over play your cards will be even more devious than ever. You may not even know you are being tempted. It is here where you need to be steadfast in your discipline as this is the time winning players turn into losing players

Never doubt the wisdom of Miss Cleo

Stu

p.s. you owe me $3.95 a minute

06-13-2002, 02:06 AM
Only $3.95!!! Now really I hate think of how much I paid for that mojo bag in the Fench Quarters.

06-13-2002, 02:11 AM
Dwayne,

Playing good poker not only means maximizing profit when you're playing well, but also means losing the minimum when conditions are not so great.

Sometimes, I'm more stoked when I break even after a crappy session than I am after a so-so session with dynamite cards. It's depressing when you think back to pocket Aces, and Kings, and Queens (oh my) and so on getting cracked by random shiznit.

Losing the minimum, IMO, is what separates "the men from the boys" in this game. Anyone can have good sessions getting good cards. How many people do you know or play with have the ability to not lose their shirt when the cards/flops aren't there?

Keep grinding out that rent money, Joe... it's noble work you're doing.

Mike

06-13-2002, 03:53 AM
Dwayne,

You mention that you've been running bad for 5 sessions, and you also mention 200 hours. Does this mean that your average session is 40 hours long?

If so, unless you have a *lot* more stamina than most any other player I know, you might consider playing shorter sessions. While you may not realize it, I'm guessing these long sessions do have an impact on your game.

DC

06-15-2002, 11:44 PM
Check the expenses of the game. You are probably winning $10 to 15 /hour but it goes to the house and tokes.