PDA

View Full Version : NLHE: overpair number one

Guy McSucker
01-01-2004, 10:26 AM
Stars 50c-$1 NLHE. I have $170 in front of me.

I get two aces in middle position. Two limp to me, I make it $5, acesover8s in the seat to my left folds, button ($70 stack) calls, as does one limper, who has me covered.

Button has been very quiet, haven't seen him involved really. Limper has been calling all kinds of ludicrous bets and getting lucky.

Any problems so far? I kind of doubt it. If you're going to tell me to raise more, please say how much and why, and what other hands I should make the same play with.

Flop Q-T-6, two spades. I do not have the ace of spades.

Checked to me, I bet $20, a small overbet. Button and limper both flat call. Ugh .

Turn is an offsuit four. Checked to me again. I bet $100, again an overbet. Button calls and is all-in. Limper folds.

How did I do?

Guy.

PS this one was yesterday so does not count against my resolution to make no bad plays in 2004. The hand I'm about to post might already have broken that one.

crockpot
01-01-2004, 01:50 PM
i can't say whether your play was correct under the circumstances, but i don't see any better way to play it, unless last year's resolution was to always give an opponent credit for a big hand whenever he calls your bet. what are you going to do, give 'em a free turn card? bet small and let a draw pick you off? be a man and shove 'em in.

Ulysses
01-01-2004, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How did I do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fine.

1800GAMBLER
01-02-2004, 01:56 AM
The only other option was to bet $50 and fold to a raise but that's player dependant, so with no read just push in.

Guy McSucker
01-02-2004, 02:57 PM
Thanks as usual for all responses. I am increasingly pleased to hear that I am not messing these hands up, at least not too badly.

Anyhow, the button had flopped three tens. No miracle river.

Guy.

J.A.Sucker
01-02-2004, 03:32 PM
You are getting way to paranoid about things. You played this hand fine. In these online games, it can't be correct to throw away AA on that board when you have the stack you have. Really, the beauty of these online games is that the money's not very deep, so there aren't a lot of tough decisions. I know it sucks getting busted when things like this happen, but that's just poker.

Guy McSucker
01-02-2004, 03:59 PM
You are getting way to paranoid about things

I certainly am.

The background is simply that I am on the most enduring, although not the most expensive, downswing of my four-year poker career. The online games these days seem softer than ever, and yet I have made almost no headway since October. Yuck. So, naturally I begin to wonder if I've got the basics all wrong somehow.

The responses I've had to these posts suggest that I haven't, and I've just got to live with it.

Thanks again!

Guy.

P.S. I guess my screen name here means "son of Sucker", which makes you my dad. Sorry I didn't get you anything for Christmas.

J.A.Sucker
01-02-2004, 04:39 PM
Running bad is a bitch, but it's good for you. Many players haven't really felt, as Clarkmeister once put it brilliantly, their "statistical cleansing." I just have gone through a huge downswing as well (over 12K) and I can tell you that it feels damn good to be done with it. The only real problem with running poorly is that eventually you will doubt your judgement and will play poorly or will take normal beats with more pain than you should. It sounds like this is happening to you. I suggest taking some time away from the tables, clearing your head, and coming back stronger than ever. It worked for me. Good luck to you, in whatever you decide to do. You can PM me if you want to discuss anything else.

As for the lack of Christmas presents, don't fret. I haven't paid your child support in years. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

1800GAMBLER
01-02-2004, 08:13 PM
Week off and don't even think of poker. Soon enough you'll get paid for all the last 2 months work.

Guy McSucker
01-03-2004, 09:00 AM
Thanks to J.A. and Jay for thoughtful advice.

I am going to take some time off. Also, going to cash out my online stash and try to start again from $200 or so. This worked a treat in July after I threw away a couple of grand in a drunken tiltfest. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

In the mean time, if you guys have noticed anything leaky in plays I describe on here, or advice I may dole out (look who's talking!) then I'd be very pleased to hear about it, either in the forum or by PM.

Love you all,

Guy.