PDA

View Full Version : pocket pairs

obex
01-01-2004, 10:06 AM
Interesting posts lately about opening hands in party 6 max games. Diverse opinions on hands like ATo UTG. As a new player to this format I am curious to thoughts on pocket mid and low pairs. I'll throw out some examples for opinions:

77, 88 UTG at full (6 player) table?

How low a pair are you willing to play from button if none or one previous caller and is this an automatic raise if you do play?

Does the typically added postflop aggression compared to 10 player ring games (more bets if you hit the set), and the greater likelihood of a lower pocket pair holding up in a short-handed game, make mid and low pairs a little more playable preflop (what pot odds are you shooting for as a minimal requirement)?

Certainly a lot of this depends on table conditions, but give me a feel for what you think for "typical" 5/10 and 1/2 party conditions (say you just sat down at the table).

Thanks.

Webster
01-02-2004, 12:32 AM
I auto raise with any pocket and bet with a hi card flopping. I'm always amazed at how often I win the pot right there. If I get resistence I'll back off or fo

BUT - I do tend to be aggressive at times short handed. I'll raises as fast as I'll fold LOL