PDA

View Full Version : wacky college football championship

jstnrgrs
01-01-2004, 08:43 AM
I was thinking, and I have a crazy way to decide the college football championship.

1) Bowl games would be scheduled and played as they were before the BCS.

2) If after the bowls are over, the two human polls rank two different teams #1 and those teams have not played each other already, then those teams would play the following week at a neutral location for the national championship trophy.

3) If both polls agree on the #1 and #2 teams, and the #2 team has no more losses than the #1 team, and the two teams have not played each other already, then the two teams would play the following weak at a neutral location for the national championship trophy.

3) If neither of the above conditions are met then there are two possibilities.
a. The top two teams have already played, so the national championship trophy is awarded to the team that won the game between the two teams (There is no need for a title game.)
b. There is a clear #1 team and no worthy chalenger, so the national championship trophy is awarded to the #1 team. (There is no need for a title game.)

I know this system would not be perfect, but I have some reasons why I would like it better than a playoff, and I would definatly prefer it to the current system.

HDPM
01-01-2004, 02:19 PM
It would be better than the current system. But it could never happen since it is not a guarantee that the game will be played. The schools won't go for it, and it isn't because they are worried about the "student athletes" missing class.

Clarkmeister
01-01-2004, 03:06 PM
Watching a bunch of meaningless blowouts just reinforces my belief that we need a 16 team playoff.

Schneids
01-01-2004, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Watching a bunch of meaningless blowouts just reinforces my belief that we need a 16 team playoff.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you propose modifications to the current scheduling system, in order to accomodate to needing more or less one month for playoffs?

- Start games a week earlier in August?
- Cut the max schedule down to 11 games? 10?
- Eliminate Conference Championship games (fat chance of that... too much $$ at stake for the conferences that have one)?

And then there is still the issue to get around that schools have finals around December 12-18 or so... Do the playoffs start after Christmas then and extend until maybe Superbowl weekend, with the nat'l championship game the Saturday before the superbowl? If you do this, how late do games get played into November/December so that teams don't get rusty for the playoffs, while still leaving the players decent study time? Or would a playoff begin after regularly scheduled bowl games, and use some of the bowl outcomes to help give some of the mid majors a chance to crack the top-16 playoff?

Sorry to randomly spew out so many questions. There are just so many things that would have to be addressed and changed in order to make a 16-team playoff work in D1 football.

jstnrgrs
01-01-2004, 11:53 PM
I do think that a 16 team playoff is a good idea. Perhapse Division I-A could arragne their schedule in the same way that division I-AA, Division II, and Division III do. I think that if players in these divisions (most of whom are not even hopeing for an NFL job) can handle it accademically, then the players in DIvision I-A could handle it. The same could be said for your scheduling concerns.