PDA

View Full Version : Bet this river?

chesspain
01-01-2004, 12:32 AM
TGC 1/2...fairly new to the table; my opponent is unknown to me.

I'm in MP, and dealt J /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif

Folded to EP2 who openraises, I three-bet, folded all the way back to EP2 who caps, I call...

9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

EP2 bets, I call...I specifically avoided raising in this heads-up scenario in order to try to maximize my winnings if he is bluffing with AK/AQ and to minimize my losses if I am against a higher pair.

[9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif] J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

EP2 bets, I raise, he calls...

[9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif] 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

EP2 checks, I check

Did I need to value bet this river? Obviously, if he has TT or AK/AQ of diamonds I am going to be checkraised, any other AK or AQ will likely be checkfolded, whereas only QQ, KK, or AA will checkcall, although even the latter is not a given with this scary board and my turn raise.

In addition, is there anyone who would have just called the turn, and waited until the river to raise. I decided to get my raise in on the turn, specifically given my fear that a scare card might fall on the river and prevent him from betting.

Any and all feedback is welcome.

TheRake
01-01-2004, 12:46 AM
CP,
I think this is a river bet. Most hands that reasonable players will cap pre-flop you have beat. AA, KK, or QQ will almost certainly call 1 more bet. If you get c/r you will have to pay it off, but I think you are ahead and need to bet it.

I like the turn raise, but you missed a bet on the river IMO.

TheRake

Yeknom58
01-01-2004, 05:16 AM
He will likely call down with QQ-AA so I say bet the river. The only hand you have to be afraid of is the straight becuase if your opponent had a flush he probably would have bet the river.

Definitely raise the turn. If he's drawing he'll call a turn raise but will likely fold on the river if he misses.

Dylan Wade
01-01-2004, 06:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
EP2 bets, I call...I specifically avoided raising in this heads-up scenario in order to try to maximize my winnings if he is bluffing with AK/AQ and to minimize my losses if I am against a higher pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

omg just raise ;0

Clarkmeister
01-01-2004, 12:39 PM
You simple must bet rivers like this.

Ed Miller
01-01-2004, 12:43 PM
omg just raise ;0

Actually, I prefer just calling. I think he's on the right track here.

Clarkmeister
01-01-2004, 12:45 PM
On the flop, but not on the turn. By then the pot is big enough that he wants EP to fold his 6 outer, especially since most players won't give up that extra bet on the river with their unimproved big cards.

Ed Miller
01-01-2004, 12:46 PM
There are two ways for your opponent to have A /images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/heart.gif or A /images/graemlins/heart.gifQ /images/graemlins/heart.gif. Six ways for him to have TT. So eight ways that he can have you beaten.

Your opponent can have AA, KK, or QQ eighteen ways. So you have him beaten more than twice as often as he has you beat. EASY value bet.

On top of that, AQs and TT are less likely because he 4-bet before the flop.

Ed Miller
01-01-2004, 12:47 PM
On the flop, but not on the turn. By then the pot is big enough that he wants EP to fold his 6 outer, especially since most players won't give up that extra bet on the river with their unimproved big cards.

Yes... I see no reason to raise the flop. I would plan to raise the turn.

me454555
01-01-2004, 01:45 PM
Easy value bet on this river. The limit is 1/2 and a lot of people have trouble letting high pockets go on the river. I would put him on a high pair(AA, KK, QQ) or AK being less likely b/c I have seen many people only call 3 bets and not cap them. I think EP2 will call your river bet with the high pair, fold if hes got AK and check raise with AK /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. 3 ways to win, 1 way to loose, thats pretty good odds for a value bet.

chesspain
01-01-2004, 02:09 PM
Thanks to all who've responded. I pretty much agree with the consensus that I played it properly through the turn, after which I wussed out on the river.

Out of curiousity, if I bet the river and then get raised, I assume I need to make the crying call?

Ed Miller
01-01-2004, 02:12 PM
Out of curiousity, if I bet the river and then get raised, I assume I need to make the crying call?

Yes, you need to call. You could fold to Mother Theresa, but you won't find her playing 1-2 online.