PDA

View Full Version : A very ugly JJ suckout - how bad was my play?

balkii
12-31-2003, 08:23 PM
Party Poker 3/6 (10 handed)
Hero has J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif and is MP2

Hero raises, Button folds, SB calls, BB 3-bets, Hero calls, SB calls

Flop(9 SB): K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB checks, BB bets, Hero raises, SB calls, BB 3-bets, Hero calls, SB calls

Turn(9 BB): A/images/graemlins/club.gif

SB checks, BB bets, Hero calls, SB calls

River(12 BB): 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB checks, BB bets, Hero calls, SB calls

Not sure why I raised on the flop, there is next to nothing BB could 3-bet with that doesnt have me beat. Anyhow, I put him on KK, and thought, "Well if he has KK he doesnt have a heart. I'll draw. Oh wait what the hell is SB still doing in the hand? He must have the A /images/graemlins/heart.gif. Well maybe not, and the pot is huge. "

The flush hits the river and SB's presence in the hand scares me out of raising, thinking hes gonna check-raise that nut flush. Does anybody draw to the 3rd nut flush here? And then not raise when it hits?!

Resutls.....
BB did have KK, SB had 99 with the 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

lunchmeat
12-31-2003, 10:44 PM
Against most opponents I'd cap preflop.

On the flop I like the raise (you were going for a free card, right?), but I'd actually fold when reraised because the sb seems to be slowplaying here and the BB could easily hold a bigger heart than you b/c his raise indicates cards larger than jacks.

Ed Miller
12-31-2003, 11:53 PM
There is no way you can fold after the flop. Your draw is too strong and the pot is too big. Notice that you picked up a gutshot on the turn.

On the river, you were probably correct not to raise. You are better off going for the overcall than you are risking an extra bet. The only reason to raise the river is if you think the SB might have the Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif and might fold it for two bets cold.

My question was how you could put the BB on specifically KK so early. You need to be putting your opponents on a RANGE of hands, not on a specific hand. There are several other hands that the BB easily could have had and played this way.

balkii
01-01-2004, 05:16 PM
Major-
I really dont know why I put him on KK there. When I looked back at the hand I realized he could have had many different hands that he would play the same way. I usually do not put opponents on specific hands, this was just a lucky guess, or something.

Thanks for the responses, I guess it looks like i didnt do so bad. its just always a bad scene when JJ draws out on a set of Kings...