PDA

View Full Version : 2004 King of the Zoo Schedule Set

eMarkM
12-31-2003, 07:36 PM
Everyone's input has been great in formulating the schedule for 2004. I think the advice that a bi-monthly schedule is too much, as I proposed in my other thread, is probably correct. I do fear people will lose interest with too many tourneys. I also fear I'll lose my mind sending out passwords on a more or less continuous basis. So I'm junking the bi-monthly schedule idea.

I've also debated putting the various scheduling proposals to vote. I've decided against it. I can't put everything to vote, sometimes I'm going to have to make an executive decision. Basically, I would have put three proposals out that would have been 1) HE only, 2) the 12 match mixed games that I put in my original proposal thread, and 3) the one I present below. I feel most would vote for #3 anyway, so I think a vote unnecessary. You're going to get your 12 HE tourneys and we'll have one of every other event in the 18 event schedule below. So I feel it's a decent compromise. All dates are set below so mark your calendars. I haven't coordinated this with Stars yet, but I plan on having all the events set up for the whole year, if they'll allow it. I emailed Stars support and I'm supposed to hear from Lee Jones on this.

2004 King of the Zoo schedule
All tourneys will remain on Thursday nights starting at 9PM ET as before. The schedule doesn't really follow a "first Thur of every month" format and are now dispersed through various months, but basically every third Thursday. Buy-ins for HE events will remain $33 and the "other" events will be $22 as keeping with the precedents set last year. Here then is the schedule:

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
Date Buyin Game
Jan 8 $33 No Limit Hold’em
Jan 29 $22 Pot Limit Omaha/8
Feb 19 $33 Pot Limit Hold’em
Mar 11 $33 Limit Hold’em
Apr 1 $22 Stud
Apr 22 $33 No Limit Hold’em
May 13 $33 Pot Limit Hold’em
Jun 3 $22 Pot Limit Omaha
Jun 24 $33 Limit Hold’em
Jul 15 $33 No Limit Hold’em
Jul 29 $22 Limit Omaha/8
Aug 19 $33 Pot Limit Hold’em
Sep 9 $22 NLHE – Heads up
Sep 30 $33 Limit Hold’em
Oct 21 $33 No Limit Hold’em
Nov 11 $22 Stud/8
Dec 2 $33 Pot Limit Hold’em
Dec 16 $55 No Limit Hold’em Championship
</pre><hr />

Getting Passwords
One admin headache I see is PMing each and everyone of you the password every few weeks. While I've toned down the schedule it's still going to mean a lot of PMs sent on my part. To ease this burden, I'm going to ask anyone who wants to be part of KotZ '04 to give me an email address I can use so I can send out the password en masse to a mailing list. I will be going through profiles to get what addresses people have posted, but for those who don't have addresses in your profile, I will be PMing you for it. Or you can send it to me now if it's not in your profile. Also send me your Stars ID (though I'll be getting Simon's current list). Also let me know if you do not wish your Stars Id to be revealed on the board as I'll likely compile some final table reports for the upcoming events.

I know some of you are reluctant to give your address out, but I can promise you that in sending out KotZ info to the list, I will be using the BCC field so as not to reveal your address to other participants. If you still do not want give it to me, we can do it by the PM method, but I really would like to see 100% compliance on this as it would really make things much eaiser for me. If we do PM, it would be your responsibility to ask me for the password explicitly as I won't be using this format for sending KotZ info unless specifically asked. New members, of course, need to PM me or send email to my new Kotz admin email address, kotz_td@yahoo.com, to be added to the list and will need the requisite 25 posts needed to qualify (I also reserve the right to refuse you entry if I think you're a total troll).

An email list will also serve nicely as a reminder every few weeks to up coming KotZ events. Of course, if for whatever reason you decide to stop receiving my KotZ emails, I will take you off the distribution list. For the first event, I will probably send it by PM, but for future events you'll want to give me your address for the distribution list.

Championship Points
We will still debate what the formula will be for determining a winner and what various awards will be granted. I haven't given this too much thought yet. I am open to proposals and I would like to have our formula set by the end of January.

Happy New Year Everyone. And good luck in the up coming year of KING OF THE ZOO!!

curtains
12-31-2003, 09:20 PM
hi email me the passwords at gregshahade@yahoo.com please. Ill try to play in as many as possible, but usually its difficult. Thanks! Also try to get stars to let people start with more chips and longer round times (and a bigger time bank)....when I ran an event they didnt seem to mind too much.

eMarkM
12-31-2003, 10:50 PM
Oh, excellent idea!

eMarkM
12-31-2003, 11:39 PM
Lee Jones contacted me, and of course, Stars would be more than happy to host the tournaments. I will schedule the first one and distribute the password via PM for this first event. In the meantime, I'll be creating an email distribution for future events.

I've been thinking of curtains idea to bump up the levels to 30 minutes and the starting chips to 2500 as they do for their major events (i.e., if Stars has no problem with it). I love the idea, but it occurred to me that this naturally would make the events last longer. These things are full of a lot of tight players and they last long enough as it is. So this one I think I will leave to a vote. You can post your vote here, or PM me. Only those who have particpated in at least one KotZ event last year can vote and each vote is weighted by the number of events you've played. We'll make the first event a regular Stars tourney with 15 min levels and 1500 in chips, but this vote will apply to future events. Voting will be open until January 15th. Here are your choices:

A) Keep it the way it is: 15 min levels, 1500 starting chips (last event will be 2500 chips and 30 min lvls)
B) Kick it up a notch: all events w/ 30 min levels, 2500 starting chips
C) Bump up HE only: I couldn't stand to play Stud that long

ohkanada
01-01-2004, 12:29 AM
Schedule looks great.

As far as rounds go, I like longer rounds. So I guess I would vote for B or C.

I don't see a big advantage of going from 1500 to 2500. Make it 20 or 25 minute rounds with 1500 and I would be happy.

Ken Poklitar

William
01-01-2004, 12:51 AM
Great schedule, My choices in order of preference are: C, A, and B

Happy new year everybody /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Kurn, son of Mogh
01-01-2004, 10:54 AM
Please don't make the levels any longer than 20 minutes. Some of us have to go to work the next morning. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Kurn, son of Mogh
01-01-2004, 10:56 AM
I agree with Ken. 20 minute rounds, 1500 chips.

mrbaseball
01-01-2004, 11:13 AM
As much as I would love bigger starting stacks and longer limits I have to agree. As it is these thing go past my typical bedtime.

Myrtle
01-01-2004, 03:06 PM
How about starting them @ either 7pm or 8pm EDT?

Damn!!! Can't make the Jan 8th tourn!! Can you mive it back a week to the 15th?

Joe Tall
01-01-2004, 03:18 PM
I wouldn't double the time, it'll take forever, especially the limit tournaments.

20 minutes sounds better, I do have a day job.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Simon Diamond
01-01-2004, 03:27 PM
I think the current format of 1,500 chips and 20 minute levels should be kept. The tournaments last between three and four hours as it is and if you think finishing at 1 in the morning is bad, try the 6 or 7 that us Brits and Scandinavians have to endure!

Simon

TylerD
01-01-2004, 03:34 PM
Yeah any chance of making them earlier? as 9pm EST is 2 in the morning here.

Simon Diamond
01-01-2004, 03:44 PM
Despite 4 of the top 7 in the rankings for the 2003 series being European, we have to be realistic and realise that we are hugely outnumbered by the North American players. 9pm Eastern is probably the best time to suit all the North Americans, and it still gives us Europeans a chance to compete - though staying up all night is not ideal.

Simon

SamJack
01-02-2004, 12:17 AM
Thanks for all the hard work in organzing these tourneys. I've seen posts for various starting time. Some have stated earlier times, such as before 9pm est would be better. For me, later would be better such as 10 or 11 p.m est. Perhaps you can rotate the starting times so people with time restrictions can at least participate in some of the tourneys.

thanks again,

Sam

eMarkM
01-02-2004, 01:38 AM
There have been a few requests to shuffle starting times around and I am sensitive to this, especially to the European players who participate at God knows what hours, but the times are set for the year. We had very good turnouts last year for 9PM ET starting times so I really don't want to change them. They're not exactly convienent for me either, 8PM CT is usually bedtime story time for my 3 yr old. She's got to make the sacrafice and go to bed a half hour early /images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'm shooting for the usual 35-50 players we get for the HE events and two full tables for the "other" events and a US slanted time period is best to get these numbers. Despite the fact that we have a lot of European players in these (and a large proportion of winners), the fact remains that the majority of players are from the States so it will remain 9PM ET for the year.

If I do make a change, it will be to one NLHE event for the convienence of the European players. This is the only change to starting times I'm prepared to make, so please, no more request to change the times. Thank you.

eMarkM
01-03-2004, 10:40 PM
The first two events are now appearing on the Stars tourney lobby. I've been getting the password out as people are giving me their email addresses. I will go through Simon's list and try and get the password out to people who have played in at least one of the last 3 events until I get the distribution list set. If you would like the password, but haven't got it, please e-mail me at kotz_td@yahoo.com. This way I'll also get your email address. Also, let me know your Stars Id. You can PM me, too, but I prefer you e-mail as it is then easy to add you to my KotZ address book. Thank you.

dogsballs
01-04-2004, 12:55 PM
I vote bump 'em up to 20 min rounds might be best, or keep em 15 mins and start with 2500. They take long enough anyway, with all the tighties. Or I vote D) Bump up Other games only: I couldn't stand to play HE that long. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I think you'll comfortably get more than 2 tables for games other than HE.

Redhotman
01-04-2004, 02:26 PM
How is everyone going to know who is who on Stars?

Filip
01-04-2004, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How is everyone going to know who is who on Stars?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cant they simply ask in the chat?

Simon Diamond
01-04-2004, 08:20 PM
If you play enough events, you soon learn who is who. The majority aren't too paranoid about masking their identity.

Simon

eMarkM
01-05-2004, 01:10 AM
I just went through the list Simon sent me of past KotZ participants and sent the password to the first two events to anyone who played in at least one of the past 3 events. I requested email addresses of many who already sent theirs. You need not send yours to me again if I have it. If I passed you over please PM me or email me at kotz_td@yahoo.com

I've received requests from several newbies to KotZ, so hopefully this week will be a good turnout.