PDA

View Full Version : KQs and to a lesser degree QJs. Help w/these hands

me454555
12-31-2003, 06:50 PM
Most of the time I'm playing typical .50/1 or 1/2 games at party.

I'm not sure weather to limp or raise with these hands.
When its folded to me in EP do I raise to limit the field or limp to encourage more people to come along?

When there are a few limpers and I'm in MP I usually call but I'm not sure if this is correct.

This hand is loosing me a lot of money and I never know when to treat it as suited connectors and try to play against many opponets or as overcards and limit the field.

rkiray
12-31-2003, 07:02 PM
These hands play well multiway. I would only raise with them in a tight game, the games you play in I'd probably limp. Of course in the co or button I'd raise if first in.

ramjam
12-31-2003, 07:05 PM
I generally raise with KQs and limp with QJs in all positions. I would save raising with QJs for blind steal/resteal purposes or, if I'm feeling frisky, on the button against a large field of limpers.

Sarge85
12-31-2003, 08:14 PM
Great question and I've been dealing with this hand myself.

First I would sat QJs is a limp hand regardless, I would not raise with this hand.

While both QJs and KQs are really multiway hands, KQs can hit the flop and be "less vulnerable" than when it pairs than QJ will be under similiar situations...so you don't want to chase people out that would pay you off when a flush hits.

KQs is a little bit different...It can win more often when it pairs the board and is vulnerable to 4 overcards instead of 8 such as QJ. And of course it has huge value for straights and flushes as well. All in all it is a pretty good starting hand and imo you should be raising with it....espcially in late position with several limpers.

Keep in mind also that in low limit, players are very prone to calling raises cold anyway so raising with QJ you probably will have all the Kx people in, and certainly Ax in as well. If the Q or J hits the flop, but not the flush draw....you have a very tricky hand to deal with.