PDA

View Full Version : Better to advertise strong or maniacal?

BigBaitsim (milo)
12-31-2003, 04:12 PM
I don't advertise often, but have read two schools of thought on this. One suggests advertising your bluffs to get people to call down your monsters, that is suggest that you bluff more than you do. The other suggests showing the nuts to folders to suggest that you bluff less than you do.

What are people's opinions? I find that I like to show the nuts every once in a while and let people think I'm just getting a run of cards (especially when I do get a run), so they will fold to my bluffs. Last night I had four hands in a row, AKs, AQ, KK & KK and raised on each. The first hand held up and so was seen at showdown. After open-raising four straight hands, I showed the KK to the table when the last folder went out on the river. It seemed to weaken the table for some later bluffing (but that may have just been the nature of the $2/4 Party table already).

Jezebel
12-31-2003, 04:28 PM
I think it is more important to recognize how the rest of the table preceives your image, instead of trying to portray a specific image. If you have been running good and constantly showing down big hands, then you can probably get away with a few more bluffs.
If I notice that the table is giving me alot of respect, then generally I will push marginal hands much more aggressivly. Remember the average "gambler" is a big believer in "playing a rush", so when they see you go on a streak they will usually stay out of your way for a while. Once they catch on and start calling you down, you can then tighten back up and get your legitimate hands payed off. I think trying to portray a specific image is a mistake. Interpreting what the rest of the table thinks of you at the time is the trick, IMHO.

However, I think this line of thinking is more relevant to live play versus online. Its pretty rare to have opponents stay at your table long enough for you to really develop an image and then be able to take advantage of it.

scotnt73
12-31-2003, 04:33 PM
at the lower limits it really doesnt matter they will not usually notice. however i do find that after i play at a table for a few hours my AKo lead out on a ragged flop that misses me totally makes them all fold more times than not.

Bob T.
12-31-2003, 05:59 PM
I agree with Jezebel, don't have a plan, just react to what is happening.

Mike Gallo
12-31-2003, 08:11 PM
don't advertise often, but have read two schools of thought on this. One suggests advertising your bluffs to get people to call down your monsters, that is suggest that you bluff more than you do. The other suggests showing the nuts to folders to suggest that you bluff less than you do.

I dont give that much thought. I prefer to keep them guessing.

On a semi related topic, I find the same thing true with image. If you develop a solid game, you will also have a solid image.

Dylan Wade
12-31-2003, 09:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On a semi related topic, I find the same thing true with image. If you develop a solid game, you will also have a solid image.

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't seem true to me in these small stakes games. That's because I'm in there constantly raising preflop, while they're constantly limping preflop with AK. To them, I must seem like a maniac raising PF most of the time. Well, I know they do because they get angry that I'm raising after they limp with T3o

lunchmeat
12-31-2003, 10:35 PM
IMO...

Don't bother with advertising online. Most players are either 1) Not going to stay at your table long enough to make advertising worthwhile, or 2) not paying enough attention to the game to pick up on it, most of them will be playing another table or surfing the web.