PDA

View Full Version : Blues Baby - Music Recomendation

Zeno
12-31-2003, 02:14 PM
Check out this acoustic blues player/singer here Keb' Mo' (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000029J5/qid=1072894037/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/103-9245192-1192657)

Listen to the fee samples. Then buy it. If at first the music does not slay you it will certainly "grow on you". Like moss on a rock. Stick you head in the Muddy Water, man. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

-Zeno

John Feeney
01-04-2004, 01:59 AM
Keb' is mighty good. I have another of his albums, The Door (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004Z3TX/ref=pd_sim_music_2/104-1015648-1758347?v=glance&s=music), on the computer. Good stuff. Judging from the album you linked to I think you'd like Mississippi John Hurt (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004Z3VB/qid=1073195660/sr=2-2/ref=sr_2_2/104-1015648-1758347) a LOT, if you aren't already a long time fan. His music takes you right to his front porch in Avalon, Miss. where he was (re)discovered. (Cool story there, as you may know.)

Cyrus
01-04-2004, 05:09 AM
OK, so now that I'm no longer buying up vinyl from Arhoolie and the rest, it's the worst possible posisition for this blues record buyer. I have about two hundred albums. It's expensive to convert 'em to CDs and it's also no use listening to Sleepy, Muddy, Blind and Lazy only on vinyl.

I mean, either I have the whole thing on the other format as well or nothing at all!..

Doctor, my anal cavities are not a pretty sight.

Zeno
01-04-2004, 02:48 PM
As you rightly surmised, I am a fan of Mississippi John Hurt and have a "Best of" CD. I burned a copy of this CD and sent it to my dad who is a music fan also. My dad used to have some old Leadbelly 45s just after the war (that is WW II for you younger folks). He lost them over the years, which is too bad.

I ordered two CDs of Keb' and am sure I will enjoy both enough that I will probably get The Door.

-Zeno

John Feeney
01-05-2004, 02:23 AM
I don't know, Cyrus. I've just been thinking of getting back *into* vinyl, maybe even getting one of those fancy audiophile turntables to replace my old Scott from the late '70s. I don't mind having some stuff in each format, though it's true the vinyl doesn't travel well, even from one part of the house to another. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif I've finally concluded that vinyl really does sound better than CDs. (A little late to the party, but here I am.)

But at least you should think twice before starting to convert all your albums to regular CDs. I suspect that either Sony's new super audio CD format (which I hear is strikingly better than regular CD) or the DVD-A format will be replacing regular CDs withing a few years. I'd hold out till then, anal cavities be damned!

baggins
01-05-2004, 01:50 PM
yeah. In the past year i have been working on building up a vinyl collection. i haven't bought any CD's (save christmas gift certificate purchases) in the last year, and have been buying up vinyl whenever i get the chance to score something great. i suggest thrift stores for great finds. its kinda fun to flip past Barry Manilow and Liza Minelli to come across Foghat and Queen records. I found a Johnny Cash LP for ten cents on the day that he died! I have about 50 or so records in my collection so far, which ain't bad considering I've been out of work for almost that long.

favorite LP's so far include:
Bob Dylan - Bob Dylan (which cracked recently. uggh)
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick
Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
Carole King - Tapestry
Godspeed You Black Emperor! - Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada
Sunny Day Real Estate - How It Feels To Be Something On
Van Morrison - Moondance