PDA

View Full Version : NFL MVP Selection?

adios
12-31-2003, 02:09 PM
I think it will be Steve McNair but there are other contenders IMO including (not in any particular order):

Ahman Green

Ray Lewis

Jamal Lewis

Priest Holmes

Ladanian Tomlinson had a spectacular year but since the Chargers didn't do too well I don't think he'll get that much consideration. I'm sure others will have different opinions.

bugstud
12-31-2003, 02:24 PM
Jamal gets it IMO, McNair sitting out a couple of games cinches it.

adios
12-31-2003, 02:37 PM
Not taking anything away from Jamal Lewis but Ahman Green and Lewis were about dead even in total yards, yards per carry, touchdowns rushing, and fumbles. One situational stat where Green was ahead of Lewis was in yards per carry in the 4th quarter where Green averaged 6.2 yards a carry. Green also had 5 receiving touchdowns so he does have an edge Lewis there. Priest Holmes had 27 touchdowns (NFL record) and only one fumble but I think Lewis and Green are still both more deserving. Just my opinion.

David Steele
12-31-2003, 03:01 PM
If the MVP has anything to do with the players importance to the team it has to be Jamal, he was most of the offence for the year.

D.

hetron
12-31-2003, 03:02 PM

Clarkmeister
12-31-2003, 03:55 PM
Um hi, no.

Its clearly McNair, Priest or JLew.

McNair is basically the entire Titans team. Priest set the all-time TD record and is similarly the entire KC offense. Yet teams can't stop him. Lewis had a great season, but IMO the fumbles, lack of TD's and dominant Ravens D make him 3rd choice to the top two.

I suppose a rational argument could be made for Green, but he played on a team in a horrific division and conference and they fluked their way into the playoffs.

Peyton has an all-time great receiver and a 2 time league leading rusher in the backfield. Substitute Manning with a dozen QBs and that team may not win 12 games, but they certainly make the playoffs.

hetron
12-31-2003, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Um hi, no.

Its clearly McNair, Priest or JLew.

McNair is basically the entire Titans team. Priest set the all-time TD record and is similarly the entire KC offense. Yet teams can't stop him. Lewis had a great season, but IMO the fumbles, lack of TD's and dominant Ravens D make him 3rd choice to the top two.

I suppose a rational argument could be made for Green, but he played on a team in a horrific division and conference and they fluked their way into the playoffs.

Peyton has an all-time great receiver and a 2 time league leading rusher in the backfield. Substitute Manning with a dozen QBs and that team may not win 12 games, but they certainly make the playoffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

While you can make a great argument for McNair, to leave Manning out of the MVP race because he plays with James and Harrison is silly. He can't help it if he plays on a good team. He lead the league in passing yards and tds. His slightly higher no. of intercepts vs. McNair is also somewhat cancelled out by the fact that McNair fumbled 12 times in 14 games, compared to Mannings 6 times in 16 games.
Plus he took virtually every snap.

As for Holmes, he is definitely NOT the whole KC offense. Trent Green threw for over 4,000 yards (of which 674 went to Holmes admittedly). Hall also returned something like 4 kicks for TDs.

Lewis is probably more valuable to his team than holmes is...he ran for over 2000 yards on a team where his quarterback was Anthony Wright. Something to be said for that for sure.

I don't like giving MVP's to players just for putting up gaudy numbers, but I also don't think you should penalize them for it either. I know Manning has had some questionable playoff performances, but if you judge him based only on the games he played this year, his performances have been pretty much as high-quality as you can get from a QB.

adios
12-31-2003, 05:06 PM
when comparing QB's and what they had to work with I think McNair has the edge and I don't think that Manning is a leading candidate among the voters. I doubt if Ray Lewis and Ahman Green are either but they probably should be and yep I think they're more valuable to their respective teams than Manning is.

JTrout
12-31-2003, 10:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Substitute Manning with a dozen QBs and that team may not win 12 games, but they certainly make the playoffs

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree that they "certainly" make the playoffs. Harrison is a great receiver. But he wouldn't be as great with any other QB in the league. James is a very good back. But the threat of the pass has made holes for him that few other backs enjoy.
Without Manning, the Colts are an average NFL team.
And Eli's pretty damn good, too. Hotty toddy.

bigjay
01-03-2004, 01:59 AM
I think JLewis should take it hands down. He's on a team with a stable of rotating mediocore QBs. Every team that plays the Ravens knows they need to stop him... and can't. He carried them to the playoffs on his back.

However the voter love them QBs but I think it'd be a shame to not see him as the MVP this year.

adios
01-03-2004, 03:09 AM

JTrout
01-04-2004, 10:37 PM
Could a player be more valuable to his team than Manning was today against the Broncos?

J.R.
01-05-2004, 02:00 PM
Manning played well, but to imply Indy won the game is wrong- the Broncos gave it up. Denver's secondary was a joke, constantly mis-communicating and failing to execute their zone and cover 2 assingments. There was no pass rush whatsoever, Manning had all day. This falls squarely on the shoulders of the coaching staff, who did not have their team properly prpared and motivated.

Manning made a great throw to Stokely at the end of the 1st half, but otherwise was not challeneged to make anything but easy throws to wide-open targets with no pressure. Peyton is a great quaterback who dispelled many demons with his first ever playoff win, but I can't wait to see what happens if he has to play a real defense like Bellichick's this postseason.

JTrout
01-11-2004, 04:32 PM
I didn't imply Indy won the game. They won the game.
Whether Manning has all day, or not, he's the most valuable player in the NFL. He's damn near perfect. He's better before the snap than any QB to ever play the game.