PDA

View Full Version : Betting the river against morons

joeg
12-31-2003, 01:38 PM
Pacific $0.50 - $1.00, I'm just getting used to how bad these players are and am wondering about how to play top pair on the river when a scare card hits, for example I held A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifJ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif in early position and raise $0.50, the flop comes

7 /images/graemlins/club.gif T /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet and get 3 callers, the turn is 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif and its checked to me again, I bet again and get 2 callers, the river is 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. This fills a lot of straight and flush draws so I check and both players check behind me, one of the players shows pocket threes and he would most likely have called a bet here. I think the check call is the correct play here when your against reasonable players but against players who will call any piece of the board should I bet regardless of how scary the river card is?

bisonbison
12-31-2003, 01:55 PM
I would check-call this, but I've got some river-betting weakness.

JDErickson
12-31-2003, 02:00 PM
My opinion is you should have taken a deep breath and bet. If someone is going for the runner runner flush or straight so be it. Make a note on them and go on.

Jim

Ed Miller
12-31-2003, 02:00 PM
The 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif is a terrible card for you. It is reasonable to check it, even out of position. The reason is that it may be a bet and a raise back to you, and you will be able to save a bet.

But you are right in general... you should be betting most river cards, even if they are somewhat scary. This particular river card is terrible, though.

Ric
12-31-2003, 02:01 PM
I don't think so, if the scary card made one of the morons' hands then you'll be paying for it more often than not. It would probably be best to loosen up your betting standards slightly and see how that goes, but that's just what I think.

rkiray
12-31-2003, 02:02 PM
Against decent players I think check calling the river is correct. Against morons I'd usually bet.

Aces McGee
12-31-2003, 02:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My opinion is you should have taken a deep breath and bet. If someone is going for the runner runner flush or straight so be it. Make a note on them and go on.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the flush or straight had indeed been runner-runner, I agree that he should bet. But the 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif fills a flopped spade four-flush, a flopped open ender, and a couple flop gutshots. I think check-calling is fine here.

McGee