PDA

View Full Version : AA hand for review

JDErickson
12-31-2003, 12:30 AM
Typical Party table. My opponent was a maniac but I didn't know that at the time the hand came up.

Party Poker 1/2 (9 handed)
Hero has A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif and is MP3

UTG limps, MP2 limps, Hero raises, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, MP2 calls

Flop(8 SB): 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif

BB bets, UTG folds, MP2 calls, Hero raises, BB 3-bets, MP2 folds, Hero caps, BB calls. (maybe he hit his set. I'll just call it down)

Turn(9 BB): 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif

BB bets, Hero calls

River(11 BB): A/images/graemlins/spade.gif (I've got the bigger set now /images/graemlins/smile.gif )

BB bets, Hero raises, BB 3-bets, Hero calls (WTF???, maybe he had the flush)

Comments on my play? I didn't worry about the flush draw as most people will slow play it if they flop it. This guy capped the flop. Results below

Opponent flipped over 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif for the turned straight. He capped the flop with a gutshot straight flush draw. Would anyone else have done this? I made it all up later when his AK lost to my KK.

Thanx
Jim

SoCalPat
12-31-2003, 04:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't worry about the flush draw as most people will slow play it if they flop it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fallacious thinking. Most sensible players, if they flop a non-nut flush, will be jamming it immediately because anyone holding a bigger card of that suit will pay to draw.

[ QUOTE ]
He capped the flop with a gutshot straight flush draw. Would anyone else have done this?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but would have anyone raised the river against a one-card straight and a three-flush on the flop vs. someone who capped the flop?

JDErickson
12-31-2003, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No, but would have anyone raised the river against a one-card straight and a three-flush on the flop vs. someone who capped the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question. This was my thinking (right or wrong). What hands will normally cap a flop? A set, AA-JJ, with these players I didn't worry about the flush (correctly here). If someone had the flush I was willing to take my lumps. Remember most of these players are not sensible. Also if anyone was crazy enough to cap a gutshot straight draw than so be it. You can't fear a suckout all the time. SO when the river hit and I hit Trip A's I thought I had a valid chance of being ahead. I don't think the river bet was a bad bet. I don't know for sure how to figure out the pot odds for this hand but if anyone else can I'd like to know what the pots had to say.

Thanx
Jim

Festus22
12-31-2003, 02:07 PM
I think another option would have been to raise the turn and fold to a 3-bet. Remember, that flop would look just as scary to him as it did to you if he didn't have the goods especially with you pounding away.

bisonbison
12-31-2003, 02:15 PM
Obviously this is tough because you didn't have the A/images/graemlins/club.gif. If your WTF on the river is because you chose not to cap: I would just call. I know that, in the moment, I would just call (I don't know if I'd even raise).

But I'd really love to hear more opinions, cause I know my river play is often missing bets.