PDA

View Full Version : Learning To Think Quick

Ocho
12-30-2003, 05:30 PM
Well, it's time to put aside learning about all of the "fun" aspects of poker for a while. I've decided that I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and start figuring EV of my hands. What's the best way to practice this while playing? I'm not going to fool myself into thinking that I can tackle all aspects of this right off the bat.

I assume first memorize the odds against tables for outs? Then get good (i.e., quick) at figuring odds during a live game. Next move on to figuring implied pot odds with quickness? Then combine the two?

I know the mechanics of these skills, so with an outs table and a mintue or two I can calculate the best play. However, I refuse to be "that guy" at the table that takes 5 minutes for every decision. Any tips on the best way to become quick at these skills would be greatly appreciated. Yeah, I know... practice, practice, practice. But what method of practice is best?

Thanks in Advance.

crockpot
12-31-2003, 04:45 AM
the key is to think away from the table and be prepared for situations that occur frequently. also, you don't have to wait until someone has bet to start thinking. after the flop hits, for example, first figure out how many outs you have if you don't have the best hand, and whether those outs will win for you. when you see you've flopped an open-ended straight draw, train yourself to think that you need maybe 4:1 to call if there is no two-flush on board, and 6:1 if there is one. this eventually becomes second nature, but you have to work on it.

trillig
01-03-2004, 08:56 PM
Don't forget to play your man/woman also, sometimes those odds are meaningless and make it your job to find those $ ops... WILL often mean the difference between winning and losing... #'s only take you so far.

-t