PDA

View Full Version : KK hand

spamuell
12-30-2003, 04:59 PM
TGC 1/2, 10-handed
No reads, 3rd hand at the table.

Hero is Button and has KK, SB is 2+2er

UTG limps, UTG + 1 (EP1) raises, UTG + 2 (EP2) cold-calls, everyone drops out to Hero who 3-bets, 2+2er folds, BB cold-calls 2, UTG folds, EP1 caps, all call

Four to the flop for 16.5 sb:

Flop: 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif 9/images/graemlins/club.gif

BB bets, EP1 raises, EP2 3-bets, Hero thinks and cold-calls 3 (yuck?), BB cold-calls 2, EP1 calls

<font color="red"> My thought process here was that as if I 4-bet I could not be 5-bet, there was no information to be gained from raising, so I thought I'd call and see if EP1 would cap, or if BB would if he possibly had a 5, although I don't think this is likely because even though he was in the blind he still had to call 2 cold, and he would probably slow play trips until at least the turn anyway like most people at this level.
</font>

Four to the turn for 28.5sb:

Turn: 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (5/images/graemlins/heart.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif 9/images/graemlins/club.gif)

BB checks, EP1 checks, EP2 bets, Hero raises, BB folds, EP1 calls, EP 2 calls.

<font color="red">I'm feeling pretty good at this point, I don't think EP1 would be this passive with AA, and I'm not worried about a 5 given the action. Also, my call on the flop rather than a cap allowed me to raise the turn when I think I would have been checked to otherwise.
</font>

so 3 of us take the river for 20BBs:

River: Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif (4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif 9/images/graemlins/club.gif)

EP1 checks, EP2 checks, Hero bets, both call.

How did I play this? In particular reference to the flop call? Anyone care to estimate whether I won, and if not, what I lost to?

Incidentally, I also just semi-cold-called in the SB when a bunch of limpers had cold-called and I had AK, should I have raised this?

Tosh
12-30-2003, 05:57 PM
Calling 3 cold is very rarely the right play and I don't like it here either. Stick in the 4th bet and see what they do.

spamuell
12-30-2003, 06:07 PM
The thing is, I know what they will do if I stick in the 4th bet - they'll call, and with a pot this big, given that they probably have some sort of hand and they're not on a complete bluff, they'd be silly not to call.

I know that generally cold-calling 3 is a bad idea, but in this case, why is it better to cap myself than to see if they cap?

Edit: As of this post, I am a journeyman!

Tosh
12-30-2003, 06:23 PM
I don't like this seeing if they cap idea, sounds very much like giving them the initiative to me. Either you think your hand is good or not. If you do, which at this stage I would guess it is, reraise, else chuck it away.

TheRake
12-30-2003, 06:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As of this post, I am a journeyman!

[/ QUOTE ]

Then very soon you will understand why you should cap this flop /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously, If you are going to call 3-bets cold you should be dictating the action by capping instead. It is better to cap and see if someone bets into you on the turn. You have the best position in this hand you should use it to your advantage.

TheRake

spamuell
12-30-2003, 07:13 PM
EP1 had a very weakly played AA, I'm just glad he didn't take more off me.

If I had capped the flop and been bet into on the turn, I would probably have called down, fearing AA, so I would have lost 1 SB less here.

Since that hand, I am up 38BB /images/graemlins/grin.gif, so I'll remember to cap in future situations, but I can forgive myself for that one SB this time.