PDA

View Full Version : An idea for a book.

Goodie
12-30-2003, 01:50 PM
I have been playing poker for about four years and in my off time working (although not as much as I should) on writing a book not related to poker. Now I have decided to combine my two passions and write a book about poker.

I have a tremendous interest and passion for the game we play and I thought of an idea for a book that I don't think has been done before. I'm not a professional but have won quite a bit over the last four years playing this game. I have a regular job and play whenever I can. I believe I am a good representation of the average player (and the vast majority of players). When I read about poker (which is probably more than I should while at work), my favorite articles and posts are those that follow a player through a tournament and get an idea of how they were feeling and why they played this hand against that player.

I'd like to write a book about my exploits at low limit tournaments that follows me for a year that's both instructional and interesting. I also think that this type of book would relate well to the average player. I think that there are very different stradegies that go into a small buy in tourney than the World Series and I don't think there is a definitive work on this subject as of yet (correct me if I'm wrong about this).

My question is, does this sound like a good idea for a poker book? And no stealing my idea if it is.

Thanks for any responses. I'm writing the book regardless but I'd like some feedback first.

Peace

Goodie

Zeno
12-30-2003, 02:27 PM
I think you need to ask yourself some important questions.

Are you anticipating writing the book strictly for monetary gain or for other reasons?

Do you have experience in writing – for example, at work, or writing reports, essays or other types of writing?

Are you ready for the pain and hard work of putting together a book?

Do you keep copious notes of your poker playing?

Do you love to write?

Can you put ideas and themes of x,y,z……n, together in ways that will interest more than just yourself?

Can you take criticisms of what you write constructively?

Are you ready for this undertaking to be at least 10 times more difficult than you now realize?

The principal idea for the book sounds reasonable enough. Can you make it both interesting and instructional without boring the reader?

Write a long essay about some tournament experiences first to get a feel for the task at hand and to help flush out some ideas for what a longer write up would entail. Submit the essay to a poker magazine and see what the response is.

Hope this helps and good luck.

-Zeno