PDA

View Full Version : Cat Allergies

Anadrol 50
12-30-2003, 11:53 AM
Does anyone have these and also have a cat ? How severe ? What do you do to remedy ?

PS I live in a 900 square foot condo...

scotnt73
12-30-2003, 12:19 PM
im not a cat person but when i went to buy my teacup chihuahua(sp?) for my wifes christmas present 1 year ago the guy also had a playpen full of these normal looking(they had hair) cats he said were from russia and didnt have whatever it was in thier saliva that causes allergies(i always thought it was the cats hair that people where allergic to until then). anyway this guy is a very prominent dog breeder in the dallas texas area who was highly recomended from everyone i asked(i was paying 300$ for a dog that now ways 3 pounds full grown-shes black with brown markings and looks like a tiny doberman-people confuse her for a minnie pin all the time-so i was looking for someone with a clean reputation for that kind of money-ie its hard to tell a baby chihuahua from a baby teacup chihuahua until after that grow up teacups are<5 lbs regulars are > 5 lbs and i am def no expert)and i dont think he would risk his rep just to make a few hundred on some silly kind of cat scam.

MMMMMM
12-30-2003, 03:37 PM
My brother-in-law is severely allergic to cats. He and my sister married years ago, and she had cats from when she was still single. They got a nice large house together and the cats had to live in the furnished basement (which doubled as my sister's office). If the cats were allowed in the house proper her husband would not have been able to tolerate it. When they used to date they lived each in their own condos and he was sensitive to traces of the cats carried from one place to the other or when visiting my sister's condo. Time was a factor as the longer he was exposed the more he would feel it and the worse his symptoms would become.

Yes it is true that it is the cat's saliva to which people are allergic, but since they lick all their fur regularly, their fur bears the allergens in the saliva so it might as well be the fur--there is no practical difference for the allergy sufferer.

As for what you can do: partition your cat's quarters and spend as little time with it as possible, or give it away to someone nice, or if your symptoms are not too severe maybe put up with it. Other than that you are simply stuck. You might inquire about allergy shots (I don't know if they would be available for, or helpful with, this allergy though).

Ray Zee
12-30-2003, 11:12 PM
you can get desensitization shots but they are a pain as they take a long time and lots of shots. another way might be one kenalog shot per year. it is a cortizone type shot and should eliminate all allergies. check with a doctor. some possible side effects but nothing worse than the allergies. i use it and tell people about it and always they come back to thank me. as i thanked the person that clued me in on it.

the other thing that will work is to drink two shots of bat blood on the night of the full moon, while boiling four dead rats and breathing the steam.

your choice

Anadrol 50
12-31-2003, 10:22 AM
Ray,

Did you use the kenalog just because you have severe cat allergies? I have never had any symptoms till this cat moved in, now I can barely breethe..... The funny thing is that I grew up with cats. It has only been since Sat, so I am hoping it is a coincidental sickness.

Al_Capone_Junior
12-31-2003, 12:52 PM

Ray Zee
12-31-2003, 01:16 PM
a-50,----- the kenalog is for all allergies. i have alot of them mostly pollen type. i do have allergy to cats and dogs but the kenalog takes care of them as well. but i would wait if i was you to see what happens before i went the shot route.