PDA

View Full Version : On the edge of Poker

thomastem
12-30-2003, 11:42 AM
I can think of a couple of things rarely discussed but are important to the game or development of skill. Let's start a list.....here's my 2:

OT book to help with poker strategy: "The Art of War" by Sun Tzu

Skill most ignored: Social/People skills

Please add to the list.

Inquisitor
12-30-2003, 12:54 PM
Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Simon Diamond
12-30-2003, 01:07 PM
As far as internet poker is concerned, something which is rarely discussed is playing conditions. I am referring directly to your setup at home, such as the calibre of your computer/internet connection, how comfortable your seat is, distance to the toilet etc.

I know that all seems a bit trivial, but I'm certain that the quality of your setup will directly affect your game in some way.

A steady connection on a high spec machine has to be a better scenario than having a dodgy connection on a brick of a machine surely. Having the bog nearby is handy - think of all those premium cards you could be missing whilst sitting out on the toilet. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Simon

thomastem
12-30-2003, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As far as internet poker is concerned, something which is rarely discussed is playing conditions. I am referring directly to your setup at home, such as the calibre of your computer/internet connection, how comfortable your seat is, distance to the toilet etc.

I know that all seems a bit trivial, but I'm certain that the quality of your setup will directly affect your game in some way.

A steady connection on a high spec machine has to be a better scenario than having a dodgy connection on a brick of a machine surely. Having the bog nearby is handy - think of all those premium cards you could be missing whilst sitting out on the toilet. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Simon

[/ QUOTE ]

Great point. Taking it a step further, does your setup include 2 monitors for multi tables? Where's the coffee pot located?

Since I have 4 children the point of seclusion is important. So are you setup away from distractions? Do you have music playing in the background? Like Husker are you're underoos readily available?

Simon Diamond
12-30-2003, 01:20 PM
Well, I don't need two monitors at the moment as a tourney only guy, and I don't drink coffee.

Personally I like a bit of music in the background, it helps to prevent me getting distracted believe it or not. The only other distraction is having high speed internet and a plethora of wonderful websites to browse...

Simon

Smackdab
12-30-2003, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Having the bog nearby is handy - think of all those premium cards you could be missing whilst sitting out on the toilet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Got a laptop with wi-fi. I just take it with me. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif