PDA

View Full Version : Where's the beef- Here's a Good Recipe!

Zeno
12-30-2003, 12:26 AM
Since the Mad Cow Scare, I've been cranking up my beef intake to an extreme level. So, I decided to share one of my favorite beef dishes that is also very easy to make.

Meat: Chuck roast, rump roast (my favorite), or round tip roast. 2-3 lbs at least.

Use a crock-pot or slow cooker, Dutch oven or large roaster pan for oven cooking. Works best in the old crock-pot.

Add fresh ground pepper (important: use good quality pepper or pepper blend as sold in most gourmet stores) to the roast and toss into pot.

Add two med. size sweet onions, quartered.

2-3 carrots, cut and halved in ~ 2 inch sections.

One sweet green pepper cut in sections.

Red or white (or a mix) of potatoes, usually 3-4 will do. Cut in at least quarters. Add different kinds of potatoes as to your taste or availability.

Do not add salt unless you’re a salt addict.

Most importantly, add tarragon and bay leaves to the mix. As to taste of course but sprinkling tarragon over the roast and other fixings and adding 2 or 3 large bay leaves is usually good enough.

Slow roast (low) for 4-6 hours. (You may want to add just a bit of water, 1/2 cup or less if needed).

The pot should be about half full of juice when done, if not add a bit more water.

To eat - never put on a plate. Get a large soup or serving bowl and use a ladle to get all the juice and fixings into the bowl. Cut roast into thin ¼ slices. Eat piping hot.

I highly recommend sourdough bread to go with this meal from a good bakery, or make it yourself if you can. The bread is great to dip and soak up the all the juice in the bowl. Wash it all down with good pale ale. This meal is especially good after a long hard day of tough winter fishing on a brushy section of a large river that included wading, hiking, fighting berry vines, and falling over logs.

Eat well and prosper.

-Zeno

Ed I
12-30-2003, 01:39 AM
Afrer a hard day of steelheading a piping hot bowl of clam chowder hits the spot. As of late, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale has been my beer of choice.

I did go out and pull some buffalo from the freezer after reading your post. I cooked a buffalo roast a month ago in the crock pot, hmmm.