PDA

View Full Version : Play a little rusty, is this right?

spamuell
12-29-2003, 10:40 PM
I have been on vacation for a while and now returning to the world of poker, I am noticing a couple of times that I'm pretty sure I would have bet that I am check-folding. I'm not sure whether I have woken up to the fact that being tight but extremely aggressive doesn't get many people out the pot at 1/2 or whether I'm just not back to the state of mind I used to be at.

TGC 1/2, loose passive table, players seem very willing to call with good hands but much much less willing to bet them

Hero is in the BB with K7o

6 limpers, SB completes, hero checks

8 to the flop for 8SB

Flop: 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB checks, hero checks with the intention of folding to a bet, everyone behind checks

Should I bet here? With all these limpers, surely someone is going to have an ace or a K with a better kicker? Also, a hand like AK could easily not have been raised pre-flop at this table. I consider an information bet, but I'm likely to get around 3 callers who could be way ahead of me or far behind but they're very unlikely to raise me so I'll have no idea. I think A8 or AK would probably slow play here anyway, and without position, I don't want to get involved. I just have this feeling that I might have bet here a couple of months ago.

So off we went, still 8 of us to the turn still for 8sb:

Turn: T/images/graemlins/club.gif (8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif)

SB bets, hero folds, the next 5 limpers call and the button folds

I am sure I should have folded here, the pot was tiny, looks like the SB missed his check-raising attempt anway. I include the rest of the hand so you can guess what the winner is, and see how loose-passive the table was, which affected my decisions on the flop.

so 6 of them go to the river for 10BB:

River: 5/images/graemlins/club.gif (T:club 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif)

SB bets again, limper1 calls, limper2 overcalls, limper 3 over-overcalls, limpers 4 and 5 drop out

Should I have done anything differently? Just making sure I'm playing along the right lines, my play is a bit rusty.

Guess who held the winner and what it was.

bunky9590
12-29-2003, 10:48 PM
seemed alright to me.

I'm not big on dumping money in a pot with middle pair, no kicker (with an ACE on board). i've seen so many people check call with weak aces to the river and NEVER bet, especially on TGC.

Tosh
12-30-2003, 12:06 AM
I think you were right not to bet that flop.