PDA

View Full Version : Privicy

MS Sunshine
12-29-2003, 10:28 PM
About a week ago, someone called my house after somone in chat gave out my first name AND my HOME phone number on PokerStars. They led this person to believe that I staked people and may stake them.

With the recent outing of my Party username I'm feeling like a victim here.

MS Sunshine

jasonHoldEm
12-29-2003, 10:42 PM
unreal...

I think people who value their privacy end up becoming targets for the trolls, quite frankly I'm surprised granny never had trouble, considering she was often much more vocal than you.

As someone who values your posts/advice/humor I hope this recent trouble doesn't make you disappear...even if I don't know who you are I still know you're someone to listen to.

Take it easy,
Jason

goodguy_1
12-29-2003, 10:53 PM
I agree Jason well said.If all the valued posters/experts get scared off this forum will really be hurt.
Whats so great about 2+2 is that anyone can have access to the advice and experience of World Class Players.Someone who wants to really work hard on his game can go in and read every archived post on any subject.If WCP's and solid pros bail out for privacy issues we all lose out in a huge way.

gabyyyyy
12-29-2003, 11:05 PM
Yes, they are such pros yet they have to hide in some fictitous screen name when they play.

I use a fictitous name on here, but I have never claimed to be a great player.

When Mason posts, he posts in his real name..In fact most do here.

It really says a lot, when a so called pro like MSSUNSHINE has to try and fake other players out by hiding his identity.

Stop making mountain out of a mole hill. No one disclosed your address or phone number on this forum.

jek187
12-29-2003, 11:10 PM
Whoever gave out your private info publicly did so in poor taste. However, Ramadingdong posted your last name on RGP, and with the help from a phone book, anyone could have gotten your phone #/address. I slipped up and put my real name on 2+2, so I'm at the same risk that you are for crank calls. However, I still can't help but find this slightly amusing...did one of the Stars beggars actually call you? Or was it someone who "legitametly" could use a stake?

gabyyyyy
12-29-2003, 11:12 PM
Someone could easily get your name by pulling the whois information for your website. Too bad you can't delete that.

jek187
12-29-2003, 11:14 PM
Too bad the website isn't under my name genius.

gabyyyyy
12-29-2003, 11:16 PM
Then they could just do a traceroute on your ip. Point is, if someone wants your personal info they can get it.

thwang99
12-30-2003, 12:13 AM
Yes but it's still unethical and classless to give out someone's private information. The fact that you can find it out if you really wanted to has nothing to do with this, don't know why you are bringing that up.

Inquisitor
12-30-2003, 08:34 AM
Gabyyy is cool. He made an informative post and it degenerates into this. This place really is a zoo with cow dung.

Schneids
12-30-2003, 08:46 AM
Gabbyyyyyyy, I have never once responded to any of your posts, but for the sake of humanity, do everyone a favor and grab your car keys (or, hell, take your parents' keys, I really don't care), hop into your car, drive to the grand canyon, and when you get to a large cliff, keep driving off it... It can be a special little legacy, just for you. Substitute Grand Canyon for any other large canyon/cliff if it is convenient for you, though you'll have a more lasting legacy if it is the grand canyon.

/images/graemlins/heart.gifOnly the best /images/graemlins/heart.gif

HavanaBanana
12-30-2003, 08:49 AM
Lot's of info out on the net, I know your real name, your party name and even found an ad where you where looking for a house.

It's an ahole act to spread personal info about others like that, and to get a phonecall at home is eerie at best.

Look at the bright side. It should give you leverage to change your name to something else at the sites, then noone would know it is you, and those who have broken the code to beat you in poker will have to start all over /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Simon Diamond
12-30-2003, 10:25 AM
He made an informative post and it degenerates into this.

Can you provide a link to this ficticious post please?

Simon

thomastem
12-30-2003, 11:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Gabyyy is cool. He made an informative post and it degenerates into this. This place really is a zoo with cow dung.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phil, my crazed cow, resents this statement. My goat (whom likes to pick on Phil) thinks it's funny though.

CrackerZack
12-30-2003, 11:33 AM
If I use AOL, traceroute gives my IP, which shows up in virginia. I live in new york. How exactly is this gonna give up my personal information?

thomastem
12-30-2003, 11:53 AM
Level of idiocy? You talking to me?

gabyyyyy
12-30-2003, 12:29 PM
"I have never once responded to any of your posts, but for the sake of humanity, do everyone a favor and grab your car keys (or, hell, take your parents' keys, I really don't care), hop into your car, drive to the grand canyon, and when you get to a large cliff, keep driving off it"

I bet you really stressed your brain by posting this. Did you have to take a tylenol afterwards? When you have no rebuttle, simply tell the person to die. Very clever.

gabyyyyy
12-30-2003, 12:33 PM
A traceroute will not give your IP. A traceroute simply measures the time it takes for your IP address to get from the source of the user's computer via a ping and back. Doing this will give a source quadrant that can be used to determine the location of the person who is using this IP address.

Who is the idiot now?

Perhaps you should stick to poker, or whatever it is that you do.

CrackerZack
12-30-2003, 12:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A traceroute will not give your IP. A traceroute simply measures the time it takes for your IP address to get from the source of the user's computer via a ping and back.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that is what ping does. Trace route shows you the steps along the route to your source. Here is an example for your feebleminded self:

C:\>tracert www.yahoo.com (http://www.yahoo.com)

Tracing route to www.yahoo.akadns.net (http://www.yahoo.akadns.net) [216.109.118.67]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

4 24 ms 24 ms 23 ms so-0-0-0-0.BB-RTR1.NY325.verizon-gni.net [130.81.8.17]
5 27 ms 30 ms 27 ms so-3-1-0-0.BB-RTR1.PHIL.verizon-gni.net [130.81.7.242]
6 30 ms 31 ms 34 ms so-1-0-0-0.BB-RTR1.RES.verizon-gni.net [130.81.9.26]
7 27 ms 32 ms 30 ms so-6-0-0-0.PEER-RTR1.ASH.verizon-gni.net [130.81.10.90]
8 28 ms 28 ms 29 ms exchange-cust1.ash.equinix.net [206.223.115.16]
9 31 ms 30 ms 29 ms ge-0-3-0-p34.msr1.dcn.yahoo.com [216.109.120.161]
10 30 ms 29 ms 29 ms vl30.bas1-m.dcn.yahoo.com [216.109.120.142]
11 31 ms 31 ms 32 ms p4.www.dcn.yahoo.com [216.109.118.67]

Trace complete.

I cutout the first 3 hops with my personal IP in them, but what are those numbers in the [] after each hop? I obviously don't have your genius IQ but I could swear they're IPs. Other than the fact you're completely wrong on trace route, you have in no way mentioned how this could possibly be used to get personal information on a person. If you take the time to read, all AOL dial-up IPs can be traced to virginia. My IP can be traced to NY Verizon. There is no way they can get my specific location without verizon's help.

[ QUOTE ]
Who is the idiot now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Once again, you've proven you are the reigning champion. Congratulations. You've got a better record than Roy Jones.

MS Sunshine
12-30-2003, 03:32 PM
Note to self:

Unless there are to be no follow-up questions, don't call CrackerJack an idiot about something.

MS Sunshine

Ulysses
12-30-2003, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Doing this will give a source quadrant that can be used to determine the location of the person who is using this IP address.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they used this source quadrant technique in AntiTrust (http://imdb.com/title/tt0218817/) .

TobDog
01-02-2004, 01:18 AM
Someone could easily get your name by pulling the whois information for your website. Too bad you can't delete that

You can now, I recently purchased a domain and networksolutions offers a private registration for an additional fee so you cannot be traces thru whois database. You might want to look into that