PDA

View Full Version : what is definition of "sweating"?

05-27-2002, 06:45 PM
There have been quite a few posts since the WSOP started where the poster said that he was going to "sweat" a friend in a tournament. What does that mean? My first thought it was just to be there and root him on. But another thought came to mind that maybe it means backing the player financially. Can someone please enlighten me.

THanks.

05-27-2002, 07:17 PM
I believe the origin of this term is from Blackjack. When the pitboss "sweats your action", he is watching you very closely. When you get sevens and split, get another 7 and split again, then double down on two of your splits, you can picture beads of sweat pouring down the floorman's face.

It means the same in poker: that you are watching someone and are feeling their ups and downs vicariously.

NI}{ER

05-28-2002, 12:31 AM
I don't think it's required that you go through the emotional swings of the player who actually has the money on the line.

Basically, it means to sit/stand behind a player in a way which allows you to see his cards. In that way, the sweater can "play the hand with you".

05-28-2002, 01:00 AM
While I usually think of Dynasty's definition, I have also thought of it as a sweater (as in a piece of clothing). Often in the games I've seen it's a wife or girlfriend (once a husband) hanging on the back of the chair like a sweater might.

Random musing at midnight.

Regards,

Troy

05-28-2002, 10:48 PM
enter the language through metaphor, compare with 'sizing up the opposition' or some other expression, which originally had a quite literal meaning, but no longer does.

brad