PDA

View Full Version : Home heads-up tournament format

codewarrior
12-29-2003, 12:32 PM
My wife and I both enjoy playing poker, both live and online. This past weekend we came up with a heads-up tourny format that was a lot of fun, and looks like it could/should be expanded to a larger number of players.

Basicly, we placed the names of six agreed upon games into a hat (Hold'Em, lowball draw, Omaha 8b, etc). Before play, we'd draw a name, and play that game for the duration of that blind level. Every 15 minutes the blinds went up, and we drew a new game as well. If we went through all the names, they all went back into the hat, etc.

Any suggestions for an improvement or three?

Thanks,

codewarrior

drewjustdrew
12-29-2003, 06:30 PM
Sounds like fun. Would you then set up brackets for the players? Here's an idea, just off the top of my head. Instead of making the prize money, make it tournament chips for a final table. Say you have eight players. The losers of the first round start with $500, losers of the second round start with $1000, loser of the finals $1500, and the champion starts with $2000 or $2500. From there, start another tournament with a low enough blind structure for the people with $500 to have some play. Make it 5/10 blinds, for instance. Again, you could rotate the games the way you did the heads-up.

codewarrior
12-30-2003, 07:44 AM
Good idea. I like it and will have to try it sometime.

Thanks!

codewarrior

GrinToday
01-02-2004, 11:05 PM
I've been thinking about doing a heads-up tourney at my home poker game too. I want something different for a Super Bowl/Super Poker night.

I thought about putting the eight player's names into a bowl. Randomly picking the names would fill a tournament bracket. Then there would be four tables with 2 people per table. Everyone starts with 1000 chips and plays NLHE.

After the 8 players are reduced to four winners, the players now start with 2000 chips. After that game, the two winners play with 4000 chips. The top two positions divide the pot 70%/30%.

I've also thought about double-elimination, but wonder if the game might be too long?

Anyone who has tried a game like this, please share your experiences.

Thanks.