PDA

View Full Version : Poker on NBC tonight...

ElSapo
12-29-2003, 11:54 AM
...I think it's significant and a great development that Celebrity Poker will be shown on NBC tonight at 10 p.m. Granted, Celebrity Poker sucks. But most people wont know that...

warlockjd
12-29-2003, 06:55 PM
Any chance Party will cough up the cash to advertise on NBC? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

TimTimSalabim
12-29-2003, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Granted, Celebrity Poker sucks. But most people wont know that...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not until they see it, anyway. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I think they should ban any show that starts with "Celebrity". Celebrities just aren't that interesting when they're taken out of their context.

34TheTruth34
12-29-2003, 11:17 PM
I made it through the first commercial break. I consider that a success...

Myrtle
12-29-2003, 11:26 PM
watching now...halfway through it...

as my daughter would say.....GAG ME WITH A SPOON!!!

Leave it to Hollywood to screw it up....but....

.....if it brings more players to the table.....

CHEERS!!!!

baggins
12-30-2003, 02:33 AM
first time i'd been able to catch any of the Celebrity Poker series. i expected the worst after reading the reviews on here, and i was not disappointed. i mean, where's the poker? they showed like 10 hands total. and the players had NO skill, really. i mean, Timothy Busby kinda had a decent style going, but he still played crappy cards. the other players were pathetic, and sad to watch. the commentary was really forced, and it was not entertaining at all.

i honestly wonder how this can be good for the game, and then i realize just how stupid and easily entertained people are, especially Average Americans. which means that it is really really good for the games if something like that garbage gets the morons at a table...

Redhotman
12-30-2003, 05:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
...I think it's significant and a great development that Celebrity Poker will be shown on NBC tonight at 10 p.m. Granted, Celebrity Poker sucks. But most people wont know that...

[/ QUOTE ]
if you jsut keep it on your tv the ratings will show, and they will be more likely to air it again, of course we make a small percentage, but still.

rkiray
12-31-2003, 11:51 AM
The show is bad, but I don't think it's as terrible as everyone says here. The ratings must be good on Bravo or why would NBC pick it up? It's got to be good for poker.

I just got back from spending Christmas in Vegas with my faimily. Christmas Eve during the 1/2 hour local ABC news I saw ads from True, Party and UB on this station. Thought that was really cool. Never saw that in Denver. Didn't see anymore poker ads, but I didn't watch much TV either.

ElSapo
12-31-2003, 12:52 PM
Really? I don't watch much TV but have never seen, outside WPT events, a Poker site advertise. I always wondered where they got players from...

rkiray
12-31-2003, 06:37 PM
I wonder if it was a coincidence or if the station tried to market to poker sites? Can someone who lives in LV tell us if this happens often? I imagine that ad rates are probably cheap at 11 PM on Christmas Eve so maybe a bunch of sites just decided to take advantage of cheap rates. LV is a great place to advertise to people who want to gamble.

BTW, I thought True's ad was best by far.

BottlesOf
12-31-2003, 06:48 PM
Partypoker.com has advertised on the Howard Stern Show on E!. I'm not sure if it was during the 11, 11:30 or 2:00 AM broadcasts (EST)

cero_z
01-01-2004, 09:26 AM
Hi Red,
[ QUOTE ]
if you jsut keep it on your tv the ratings will show, and they will be more likely to air it again, of course we make a small percentage, but still.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry, but that's not how it works. Nielsen ratings are based on what "Nielsen households" (those who have voluntarily shared their viewing habits) are watching. They don't track what everyone is watching electronically, or if they do, it's an illegal secret operation /images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

M.B.E.
01-01-2004, 07:51 PM
Yes, when I was in Las Vegas I saw ads for Ultimate Bet (starring Juha Hilppi) and at least one other poker site, either Party or True (maybe both).

Moyer
01-02-2004, 09:59 AM
They could've atleast had the Ben Affleck episode. That way newbies will learn that any two cards can win, even when played against the best player.

Ben got screwed. So did that guy from friends.

At first, I thought atleast the Celeb Poker final table tourny would be fun to watch, but so far I think the best players have already been knocked out.

Zele
01-02-2004, 12:22 PM
Emails in support of a show have an impact. Letters have an even greater impact because TV execs know they take more effort to write.

cero_z
01-02-2004, 02:55 PM
Hi Moyer,
[ QUOTE ]
...even when played against [Affleck,] the best player.

Ben got screwed.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ben played horribly, just as they all did. He missed huge glaring tells from the others, and squandered many opportunities to bust them. He hardly picked up any good hands, but the few times he did, his opponents were bluffing at him. He would lead right out with a massive overbet when a card he liked fell, rather than check-raise the dope who'd been betting all the way. This in spite of the fact that the Sex and the City guy's bluffs could not be more transparent. As badly as he played, one check-raise in a spot where it was the mandatory default play would've won the tourney for him.

I have nothing against Ben, by the way, but I'd read how he was quite good for an amateur, and how he got it all in with AA and got bad beat in the WPT event, etc. Seeing this program makes it clear that he has no chance in these events unless the cards run him over, and maybe not even then.

Moyer
01-03-2004, 05:35 AM
You may be correct, I guess I have little experience in no limit. But I still think he was the best at the table.

Ulysses
01-03-2004, 06:54 AM
Did anyone else watch the episode on Bravo tonight? I don't know which one it was. Anyway (for those of you saw it), is it just me, or was David Schwimmer's reaction (in the busted players' holding room) to Ben Affleck turning over AQs one of the funniest things ever?