PDA

View Full Version : And the 2003 Pimpin Picks Champeen of the World is.....

Easy E
12-29-2003, 11:02 AM
Congratulations to Wake up CALL, the "2003 Pimpin' Picks Champeen of the World"!! He ended on a nice solid week, just beaten by our other noteworthy challanger and final week champion, jamesburke! Nice job moving up to take the bronze, JB!

Week 17 board (Pimpin' Picks # 12)
This week's champ
<font color="green"> jamesburke 9 </font>
Wake up CALL 8
Wildbill 8
scalf 7
Porcupine 6
Easy E 4
TAFKAn 2
mikelow 0
<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
(sorry for the sloppy chart- i haven't figured out yet how to paste and then respace these columns properly)

Final Leaderboard Avg/week PP pools in Winner of PP # Perfect weeks
Wake up CALL 71 5.92 12 T-1,T-11 1
Easy E 62 5.17 12 T-8 8
jamesburke 58 4.83 12 12
Porcupine 56 4.67 12 T-3 3
scalf 56 4.67 12 5,10 10
TAFKAn 53 4.42 12 7
Big Al 48 6.86 7 T-3 3
Wildbill 47 5.22 9 9, T-11 9
Paul Talbot 43 4.78 9
Mhoydilla 40 4.44 9 T-1 1
mikelow 39 4.33 9 6, T-8 8
pudley4 33 4.13 8
whatsgoingon 30 4.29 7
fatherpimp 23 7.67 3 2
Ashe 15 3.00 5
obi--one 12 6.00 2
Homer 12 4.00 3
NajdorfDefense 11 5.50 2 4
dpen1000 5 5.00 1
kg99 3 3.00 1
DanS 2 2.00 1
</pre><hr />

It would have been very interesting to see some of you participate in every week. We're left to wonder how fatherpimp would have done, along with Wildbill..... and what ever happened to the disappearing Big Al? Were the Shoe-In spoofs too much pressure to live up to?

Only 8 perfect weeks, with 3 of them in the same week, out of 12 weeks of the PP Challange.. with no one doing it more than once- that shows you how tough it is to beat the spread! I know I've gotten much better at handicapping due to this Challenge and some of the other posts on the NFL game analysis.

Thanks to everyone for participating, with a special gold star to all of the 12-week playahs!

Some thoughts for next year if we run this challenge again- comment on them as you choose:

1) TIES- Losing all of the points when the spread ends up in a tie seems a bit harsh (ask Big Al). However, I don't think it seems that fair to give half-points, either. A 4-point pick tie is worth as much as a 2-point pick win (and only the latter made anyone any money in the real world). Any suggestions?

2) I'll have to remember to keep the win-loss records next year. That will be a more revealing indication of a handicapper's "skillz" than the average per week.

3) Should we use money bets next year, instead of points? Total bankroll would be a REALLY good indicator of betting mastery. One idea that was rejected for this year's Challenge was to have a $500 or so bankroll to spread out among the four games (that would solve the tie issue, since you'd "gain" by not losing money). Year-end winner would have the most money- ties broken by win-loss record.
And if we wanted to be really anal about it, we could include the vig...

Wake up CALL
12-29-2003, 12:17 PM
Thanks again Easy E for all the hard work.

Personally I like the idea of a bankroll and including the vig. After all the bottom line does matter in handicapping, plus that takes care of the penalty for ties. Can't we start with several billion dollars so at the end of the season I'll still have a bankroll even if I book mostly losers? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

pudley4
12-30-2003, 10:42 AM
Another suggestion: add the points for winning picks and subtract the points for losing picks.

This more closely resembles what happens to your bankroll in real life, and you wouldn't be "penalized" for a tie.

Porcupine
12-30-2003, 11:09 AM
Congrats and nice job Wake up!

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks again Easy E for all the hard work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed! Thanks E!

[ QUOTE ]
Personally I like the idea of a bankroll and including the vig. After all the bottom line does matter in handicapping, plus that takes care of the penalty for ties.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I think keeping track of the vig would be too much trouble for our contest, but if someone is willing to keep track, that would be cool.

Maybe something like: Everyone starts with 1000 units. Make picks each week with each pick being worth a minimum of 25 units and a maximum of 100 units. Where you lose points for losses - this keeps pushes from being the same as losses.