PDA

View Full Version : Questions on playing tournaments and mult tables

arfsananto
12-29-2003, 09:01 AM
I am currently learning to play by studying books and posts here, and playing .05/.10 and .25/.50 in Stars.

I realize that playing in tournaments requires a completely different knowlege and skill set, and that playing two (or more) tables needs different skills and lots of practice.

Given that, my question is:

Is tournament play and/or multi-table play something that almost everyone eventually wants to do, and that I will likely need to learn?

If so (for either), should I start working on them now, while I'm learning and playing cheaply, or are these things that you move up to only after (if) you become a good player?

Thanks for all opinions.

Adrian

scotnt73
12-29-2003, 10:32 AM
not everyone chooses to play more than 1 table. im a winning 2/4 player but i havent developed my game enough to multi table yet. i plan on moving up to 3/6 in the next month or so(as soon as my bankroll hits 2k im at 1400 right now). after i consistantly beat 3/6 i will decide if i want to multi table 3/6 or move up and play 1 5/10 game. i havent decided yet.

rayrns
12-30-2003, 08:37 AM
I think that playing 2 tables when you are at .25/.50 is a good way to get used to the faster play. Even if you only do it periodically and for short periods. You will click the wrong buttons for the different tables now and then and it sure is easier on the bankroll to do it at the lower limits. I much prefer playing multi-tables there over multi-tables at Party.

As far as learning some about tournament play. I think Stars with the $1 and $3 tourney's are a fun way to learn. Put in a little time at the 1 table SnG's and you also get some experience at short handed play as well. I found I was getting to the $ in the cheap tourney's but losing after that. SnG's helped with that problem and I was able to finish higher up in the $$. Never did win one but made the final table a couple of times.

crockpot
12-30-2003, 08:42 AM
a lot of people shy away from tournaments, but most good players will play more than one table. it helps reduce the wait for good hands, and increases their win rates.

i'd wait until you're completely comfortable with one table before moving to two (and with two tables before moving to three, etc.). try it out while it's cheap and see how well you do at it.

as for tournaments, you might as well start learning how to beat them now. they're so different from ring game play that you should study before trying to beat them.