PDA

View Full Version : Right spot to slowplay?

Illininate
12-28-2003, 09:27 PM
First post, here goes:

1/2 Party, typical loose table, 5-6 players seeing each flop.

Dealt 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif UTG
I limp, two MP's limp, SB completes, BB checks

My limp here might be a little suspect, but as there were usually quite a few players seeing the flop, I figured I had the odds to try and flop a set..

Flop: 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/diamond.gifK /images/graemlins/club.gif

Checked to me, I bet, two MPs fold, SB calls, BB folds.

Turn: 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I bet, SB folds

Basically, I was wondering if that sort of flop was a good situation to try a slowplay. My thinking was, if I check, anyone with any king will bet and I can raise.. but just the same, anyone with a king will likely raise me and I can 3-bet.

Looking for some input on how to get the most money out of a hand like that.

Thanks,

Nate

Saborion
12-28-2003, 09:52 PM
You had 2 players behind you, and unless someone get`s lucky you`ll win this hand. I would`ve checked the flop, hoping that someone behind me bet and/or someone improves/picks up a good draw on the turn. But if someone doesn`t bet on the flop, you`re not likely to make much money on your hand since it`s unlikely that someone has the king.

Dylan Wade
12-28-2003, 10:52 PM
If you bet, you're not going to scare anyone with a K. A K will raise you, and you'll have your action. If you're going to check, and give them a card, what card would be best for you on the turn?

Basically, you need an opponent with a K if you want to get paid off this hand. I'd just bet out here against typical opponents, hoping the player calls you down.

Also, uou could check to induce a bluff if you think this player might bluff.

scotnt73
12-29-2003, 10:35 AM
you played it fine. next time someone will have that king and youll make a killing.

me454555
12-29-2003, 02:08 PM
I think checking the the flop and slowingplaying untill the turn might be the way to go. The odds someone has a K is going to be pretty slim so you might not get paid off very well. If you slowplay till the turn, you get to charge your opponents more to play and also fake a little bit of weakness. IMHO, the only card that really hurts you on the turn is a K, or a blank that hits someones pocket pair so a slowplay might be the right move here.

brian0729
12-29-2003, 03:49 PM
Bet and three bet the flop and turn. You played this hand OK. The only real error I see is the PF limp save your chips for a better spot.

MrBlini
12-29-2003, 05:01 PM
I don't think waiting for the turn is getting you more money. The bigger turn bet is harder for others to call without a hand, and by waiting you are missing out on extra bets if someone has a K.

Zetack
12-29-2003, 05:05 PM
Its a pretty good place to slow play. Not much can beat you. If the last two cards are a pair, anybody with a king beats you or if somebody with a king pairs his kicker he beats you.

So the question is how to get money into the pot. As it turns out nobody had anything they liked so probably there was nothing you could do.

A check on the flop would be reasonable. The question then is, if nobody bets to you do you bet the turn. Now if nobody has anything if you bet maybe you get no calls at all since it costs twice as much. On the other hand because you checked the flop, maybe somebody with nothing thinks you are bluffing and calls this larger bet. Or somebody may have now picked up the club draw and follow you to the river (where if luck is a lady they'll make their flush and really pay you off). The best reason to slow play a hand like this is to allow other people to catch up and give you some action.

Suppose you check both the flop and the river. Now, somebody who might have called you with a draw on the turn, may fold if they missed it. On the other hand with two rounds of checks they may take your bet for a bluff now and call, or be induced to bluff themselves.

So its really hard to know. My feeling is that with five players in, somebody would have bet somewhere on the turn or river and you might have picked up a bit more than the one small bet on the flop. But it really looks like, absent a made flush on the river, there was little you could do to make this thing pay off.

Nothing wrong with the way you played it.

Maybe check the flop and then bet the turn if there are no bettors to you at that point as a compromise play. Maybe you lose even that small bet by playing it that way, but maybe you pick up a bit more.