PDA

View Full Version : Open raise vs. limp from EP and MP

05-20-2002, 03:09 PM
I have seen some varying degrees of strategy when in comes to first in pot raising vs. limping in lower limit games. It seems that open raising is superior in many instances. I am really confused about open limping and what hands I should be doing it, especially in MP. Please help me.

After reviewing my playbook (very consistent with S&M recommendations?), I generally open raise from EP with group 1 & 2 hands plus AQo. I generally limp/re-raise with AKs and AQs about 1/3 of the time. I will generally open limp with group 3 & 4 hands and sometimes group 5 hands, depending on the aggressiveness of the game I’m in. However, I would generally fold most times with group 5 hands and a couple weaker group 4 hands.

In MP, I will generally open limp with hands: T9s, KQ, 88, QTs, 98s, J9s, AJo, KTs, 77, 87s, Q9s, QJo, JTo, 76s, 97s, Ax(8)s, 65s. I would almost always open raise with all other higher ranked hands. Again, I am describing how I generally play in my “typical” game. I would often dump off-suit hands here (QJo and JTo) in early MP.

My question is open raise vs. open limp and what this forum suggests. A typical PP game at $3-6? A typical LL loose/passive game? I do not believe I am clear as to the correct play when I am the first in the pot out of EP and MP. Thank you in advance for you consideration of my questions.

05-20-2002, 07:52 PM
The appeal of hold'em is that right off the bat on almost every hand, among the learners, someone has no idea what to do. And we take turns being the dunce. No wonder this game took over.

My psychological solution is to adopt a preflop mindset that far more resembles the "idiots" than the "educated." That's because the simpler the approach, the more assuredness I feel, and I like that. Some guys will see a flop anytime they have Q-9 suited, no matter what. There is no decision. Likewise, I will see a flop anytime I have AA. No thinking. The whole preflop thing is just a matter of where we stop thinking and play, or stop thinking and fold.

I've decided for now to put "open-limp" in the same category as "call a raise with 7-2." You might want to try it for a while because it would simplify your game tremendously, possibly freeing energy for elsewhere. And it also will change how your opponents view you and play against you. Not necessarily to the good or not. No way to know. But it's an exciting journey I've made many times and never regretted.

Tommy

05-20-2002, 08:18 PM

05-20-2002, 10:32 PM
"You might want to try it for a while because it would simplify your game tremendously, possibly freeing energy for elsewhere."

I'm not sure I understand. If you only open with a raise, and now you add some limps, that would seem to be adding complexity, not simplifying. I assume I'm misinterpreting your comment. Could you clarify?

05-20-2002, 11:04 PM
Me: "You might want to try it for a while because it would simplify your game ..."

The word "it" here referred to always open-raising.

05-20-2002, 11:08 PM

05-21-2002, 11:48 AM

05-21-2002, 11:49 AM