PDA

View Full Version : Question on a hand

gibs
12-27-2003, 03:59 PM
I was playing in a fairly weak live 3/6 game last night. I was in mid to late position with KTo (not the best hand, but I figured it would do for the game I was in). Flop comes out King high with no noticeable straight draws and no flush draw. Lady in first position bets out. Now she had been calling and betting with everything all night, and getting some lucking cards too. On one hand she flopped a monster with low pair on the board of fives. She of course stays in and two more fives come on the turn and the river to make her a four of a kind (she was living right that night). On another hand she held 46o in early position. When the flop came out with a four in it, she bet, was raised, and then she three bet. The guy took the hand down with a straight. So from watching her play I put her on one of the lower pairs or nothing at all. So I call her bet, and the guy on the button calls. Turn card is a blank and again the lady bets and I call and so does the button. At this point I'm almost certain that the button has a king with a mid to lower kicker (this was not an uncommon hand for him to have). River is again nothing and the lady again bets with both of us calling. True to my predictions, the lady had nothing and the button had a king with a seven kicker, and I take down the pot. My question is should I have raised on the turn or the river? I was fairly sure that I had the best hand, but the other two players would not have thought twice about calling my raise. So for all situations like this when I have a fairly good hand that looks to be in the lead but not for certain, should I raise or just call it down?
Sorry for the crappy description of the hand, but thanks for any responses.

SpaceAce
12-27-2003, 05:38 PM
I don't think you should be calling bets with a weak top pair like that. You should have raised the player you put on nothing on the flop, at least. It's in your interest to drive out the other King just in case he has KJ or a pair and a draw. Also, if he does have a better kicker than yours, you might lose less money by raising him and scaring him into being a little less feisty (not an issue in thie hand).

I think at the very least, a raise on the flop is appropriate and possibly another on the turn. If you have the best hand, you win more money and if you are in danger from another King or a draw, maybe you lose them with a raise or two.

SpaceAce

BottlesOf
12-27-2003, 05:55 PM
You must raise this flop. No question.

LetsRock
12-27-2003, 08:35 PM
I would raise this on the flop. It helps to define what the others are doing and chase some of the players on draw out of the hand (or at least give them incorrect odds to keep fishing). If you get raised back, you know you may be in trouble and can usually do a pretty easy lay down.

Being a calling station in this spot is the worst action of all; you're just making the pot bigger which gives the fishermen the proper odds to keep chasing. If you're not confident enough in your hand, then consider folding.