PDA

View Full Version : Struggling with AK

jedi
12-26-2003, 06:37 PM
I've been struggling with playing AK for a while now, and while I THINK I know the answer to my questions, I want to make sure. Assume typical microlimit players who chase with anything.

AK in early position. I usually raise or 3-bet. If the flop hits me, I'm golden. If it doesn't, then I have problems. I usually bet out to see if I can get everyone to fold but that of course doesn't work in micro limits. If I get raised, then I'll tend to call and check-fold the turn if it doesn't hit me. If I just get called, I'll usually lead out on the turn which I think is a mistake. I should maybe go into check-fold mode after the turn blank? I've occasionally won pots by people folding on the river against my unimproved AK, but I've also lost more than I should by sticking with it too long I think.

Questions:

1) Should I 3-bet or cap with AK in early position if it's raised back to me?

2) Should I even lead out on the flop if it doesn't hit me?

3) Should I just abandon the hand at the turn?

AK in late position.

1) Should I 3-bet with this hand?

2) If the flop comes rags and someone bets in front of me, should I raise, or call or abandon the hand? If no one bets in front of me, should I bet out?

3) If the turn misses me completely, should I abandon the hand here?

I've been called down with people having little more than bottom pair, which I never would have if I were in their shoes. However, I'm not and I need to take this into account as well which I know I haven't done yet.

Tips?

Joe Tall
12-26-2003, 08:31 PM
I'm taking off to a play, so I'm leaving you with a quick link.

Joe Tall's AK Standard Operating Procedure (click here) (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=433894&page=1&view=co llapsed&sb=5&o=14&vc=1)

Peace,
JT

Aces McGee
12-26-2003, 10:21 PM