PDA

View Full Version : Mental checklist

RustyCJ
12-25-2003, 01:37 AM
Do any of you have a mental checklist that you go through each time during a hand, PF, post flop, turn, etc, if so, was wondering if you could expand on that, if you don't mind, thanks )

LetsRock
12-26-2003, 12:34 PM
Well, umm, yeah, I guess.

In general I try to have read of each player's style so I can attempt to apply the correct strategy to each situation.

PF: I note my position and determine what hands that position "allows" me to play in general. I adjust these standards based on what has occured prior to me and who is yet to act. Am I in position to steal the blinds? Should I be smooth calling a big PP (or other typical PFR hand)? In a "typical" situation (normal amount of "action" expected), I try to give myself some parameters of what the flop will need to be for me to put anymore money in the pot with a marginal hand. ("If I don't get a set, top 2pr, an open str8 or flush draw, I'm not going to defend this T9s with any more bets.") This helps me to get away from marginal hands. Of course, I am a bit flexible when the situation calls for it - like I hit top pair or have some backdoor options and can close the action with 1 bet.

Again back to player reads, I try to keep in mind who the calling stations are, who the maniacs are and who will lay down a decent hand vs. some aggression. So I can make the best decision based on the situation. "How will I react if this guy raises me?", "Will this guy help me to slowplay thid hand?", "How will this guy react to my raise?" types of considerations.

I don't know if these are really "checklist" things, but they are things that I try to have already figured out before it's time to act so that I'm less apt to be caught by a surprise.

Ragnar
12-26-2003, 09:37 PM
Here is my simple checklist for myself as a beginner.

1. How many players (nine handed, six handed etc.)

2. What is my position?

3. What does each bet by an opponent mean? As the streets go by can I put each opponent tentatively on a hand?

4. What is the nuts? That adjusts from the flop, to the turn to the river.

I mentally think of the first two immediately as the deal starts. I think nine-handed, Under the Gun etc.

Then I use the other two as the hand develops. Once I master these automatically I will add more things in.

Ragnar