PDA

View Full Version : 2 pot limit omaha high hands

buddycat
12-24-2003, 06:55 PM
A. This first hand I won a 1600.00 pot. I limped in early position with (2h 6c Ad As), getting in cheap and hoping to hit a set of aces, or possibly depending on the situation reraise if raised by a short stack.
I have about 600.00 in chips. Four other players see the flop.
The flop is 9d Ac 7c. The small blind leads (has 1200 in chips) for the pot, 34.00. I CALL, Then the player after me (about 400 in chips) raises the max. It's folded to the small blind who calls, and gloomily I put in the rest of my chips with the top set...Both players called.

Rest of the hand played out like this: [9d Ac 7c Jc] [Jd]
I won with Aces full.

Although I had top set on this hand, I feel I was probably a dog to win, but at the same time, with top set, I felt is was definitely played ok. The flop smooth call was precisely so I could see the turn card and raise the turn if it looked good. I was thrilled when it was reraised, however, with AAA, I liked it.

Comments / Suggestions? On the two opponents in the hand I did not have much knowledge of their play.

B. I have 1k in chips. I'm dealt Qs As 3d Qd under the gun. I raise to 20.00, the next player with 1k in chips (solid) calls, the small blind - solid 600 chips calls, and the big blind - unknown player - 600 chips reraises to 36, everone calls.

The flop comes (Kd 9s Qc). The blinds check. I don't feel it's likely one of the first two players would check a str8 or nut flush draw. I bet the pot (140). The player behind me calls, and the small blind calls. I have middle set at this point.

The Turn is the Jd. Ok. Now I've picked up a flush draw. Small blind checks. There's now about 600.00 in the pot. I bet the pot. With potential outs (just one nut out the case queen), I'm representing the nuts, but if I don't have it, I likely have several outs against most hands.
Both players fold.

Board recap - [Kd 9s Qc] [Jd]

Also, had the diamond not hit on the turn, I'm not sure what I would have done. If this were the case, any thoughts on how that changes things? I'd have been tempted to bet the pot again. Say for example the Jack of clubs hit on the turn.

Comments?

Thank you very much for your input.

crockpot
12-25-2003, 01:52 AM
A. while you may have been less than 50% to win this pot, in order to be less than 33% (truly make you an 'underdog'), you have to construct some ridiculous scenario, like being up against 9977 and JT86 with a club draw. so you are getting good odds on your money here. i like the smooth call on the flop; you can't get all in now with a raise, so you may as well look at the turn card and make a decision then. if someone else has a lower set, it is unlikely they will keep betting strong when a club turns, so you probably won't lose action from them. when it comes back to you, pushing in now is best; you are getting good odds on your money.

B. not sure if i would raise UTG on this hand, but i like your postflop play. if raised on the flop i assume you're planning to fold, as a call would be insane. playing with a set of kings would be trickier; if you have something extra like a gutshot to broadway or two backdoor flush draws, you may be able to call a raise.

on the turn, tough call. you may have as many as 21 outs to a win, or as few as one and three to a split. i'd probably bet here, but whether or not i call a raise depends on my table feel and the caliber of opposition. in the end i would most likely call and watch him show me AKKT with a nut diamond draw at the end.

Phat Mack
12-25-2003, 05:36 AM
Although I had top set on this hand, I feel I was probably a dog to win, but at the same time, with top set, I felt is was definitely played ok. The flop smooth call was precisely so I could see the turn card and raise the turn if it looked good. I was thrilled when it was reraised, however, with AAA, I liked it.

You are getting almost 2:1 here in your money, and if you're a dog here, you're a small one. You got the flop you wanted and got the action you wanted. There's nothing really wrong with the play, but you would have to consider the ramifications if you had a bigger stack (say 2000 more and were covered by your two opponents), and a straight or flush card came off on 4th street. Then you would be in a position where you would have to read your opponents and play well, or your stack would be in danger. On the bright side...

I think your ability to read your opponents is pretty well demonstrated in hand two. Second set and a third-nut flush draw are both vulnerable hands, but you were able to win with them. Nice hand