PDA

View Full Version : Am I missing an opportunity

davidross
12-24-2003, 04:45 PM
6 weeks into playing the Party 5-10 6 max games and ive done pretty well. I raise my good hands, 3 bet the very best hands, and limp re-raise AA and KK. I limp with hands that can stand a raise behind me. Very straight forward. I frequently get 3 bet when I raise from the button or the SB, and at the showdown see something like J9o or K3s. If these were bad players I wouldnt think twice about it, but I see otherwise good players making these plays. Ive never done it. DO you make money on plays like this. Clearly they are hoping I will fold, or they will get hit hard by the flop, but Ièm not sure it happens enough to justify the play.

I guess the SB vs BB play it might make more sense, since you will have position.

CUrious if any winning players make plays like this and how they decide when to do it. Maybe Im missing a profitable opportunity.

tewall
12-25-2003, 02:09 PM
It looks like the re-raise is because they've put the raiser on a steal, and they're hoping to take the pot away from him. The hands they're raising with, while bad, do have some potential to hit the flop hard.

So if you're playing against a stealer who would give up if you showed strength, you might be giving up a little bit of profit, but not much I wouldn't think. I'd stick to the style which is working for you, and maybe try the play on a whim to see how you like it if you think there's a good chance you can take the pot away from a stealer.

Robk
12-25-2003, 08:36 PM
Just because someone plays well postflop doesn't mean that they are making the right decisions preflop. David and Mason have both written about a class of players who play their hands very well after the flop, but kill themselves playing too loosely preflop. David even wrote (in TOP?) that he sometimes played a purposely "unimaginative" game to encourage them. I have played shorthanded against many party 15 players (and even some in the 10) who I felt I was playing to a draw postflop. But their preflop play was either 1) so loose or 2) so aggressive that I felt I had a decent edge against them. Of course this is dangerous if you read the situation wrong or they are capable of changing gears.

ZeeJustin
12-29-2003, 05:46 PM
It sounds like resteals, which are very worthwhile against people that play LAG preflop, but fold whenever their opponent shows real strength. The basic formula is, if the button or SB open raises, you 3 bet in the SB or BB, and auto-bet the flop. If they don't fold on a real flop, they probably have something. If they don't fold on a stainy flop, you can follow through and bet the turn and hope they get rid of their overcards. Part of the idea I guess is that your holdings are irrelevant, so you might as well try this with hands like 98s. I don't use this play often, but used sparingly it's been very effective. Obviously, it needs to be against the specific type of opponent I mentioned.

Ulysses
12-29-2003, 06:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I raise my good hands, 3 bet the very best hands, and limp re-raise AA and KK. I limp with hands that can stand a raise behind me. Very straight forward.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm... My response to this post seems to have disapperared into the ether somewhere. Oh well.

Straightforward will get you the money. You're probably limping too much, as there are relatively few situations where limping in these 6-max games is correct.

[ QUOTE ]
DO you make money on plays like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

3-betting w/ some relatively weak hands is correct against a certain class of player:

a) They will open-raise w/ any two in LP when folded to them.

b) They will release a hand to some pressure if they miss.

In general, I think this is a money-losing move. Especially since many of the "open-raise w/ any two" players will also auto-raise a flop bet. Easy to burn a lot of chips out of position that way. I'll 3-bet pretty liberally in this spot, but usually w/ a hand w/ some kind of showdown value.