PDA

View Full Version : longest slump?

jfresh
12-24-2003, 03:27 AM
anyone have any advice on breaking out of a slump? in ~50-60 hours in the past month, i have been down around $600 playing NL 50/NL 100 at party poker and ultimate bet. previously i had won very consistently for about 5 months.

i've been playing 4 or 5 tables for most of the time (during my wins and my current losses.) i have dropped occasionally during my slump to 2 or 3, but i don't feel that my play suffers with more games.

i've even tightened up considerably recently. around ~22% post-flop, but my win percentages have been consistently in the 6-7% range.

is my 60 hours over the span of a month too small of a sample size, even with the number of tables i play?

harboral
12-24-2003, 03:26 PM
How long is long? Some posters think 100K hands is a good sample size - but this is a really good question - What is your longest slump? I'd really like to know, from players that have a long (1 year minimum) history of winning at poker, what the longest period or number of hands they went south. From my point of view, it is very unlikely that a player would lose more than 6-8 sessions max, or for more than a week or two playing against the same caliber of players they have been beating. I am not the strongest player around, but have lived off my full time play for several years - and I have NEVER had a losing month. If you lost over 60 hours (5 games at a time) that would mean you showed a loss for 300 hours of B&M play, that is substantial. I would guess either the caliber of players you have been playing against has improved or you have a serious leak in your current game. Post some hands - readers here are very sharp about seeing problems