PDA

View Full Version : LL buy-in concerns

05-10-2002, 05:19 AM
Hello.

It is my understanding that in general, when you buy in to a game of Hold 'Em, a good starting point is 15-20 BBs. Ok.

I play low limit 3-6 in Michigan. I am crusing along losing a good fraction of my rack, but am at peace of mind and in acceptance that I am an overall winner, and that there are swings, even in the loosest most passive games. Ok.

How low (in units of BBs) should I let my stack get before I rebuy?

Thanks...

-Ryan!

05-10-2002, 08:50 AM
How much money do I need for the best hand? That is how I judge when rebuy time is. If I get low on chips and am dealt a great hand I want to have enough chips in front of me to make 'em pay through the nose to play their hands.

There is a minority who like to make very small rebuys so they can only lose so much on each hand. If they run out of of chips post flop, they get a free ride to the river. To me that's a sign of playing way too loose and cheating themselve's out of potential profit.

05-10-2002, 01:45 PM
You do not want to run out of chips when you have the best hand. If where you are playing allows a bet and 3 raises it could cost as much as 12 BB to play the hand if it was capped on every betting round. If they allow 4 raises that would be 15 BB. Also if the hand becomes heads up there is no limit on the number of raises.

On the other hand if there was only a bet and no raises on each round it would cost 3 BB. So the amount to trigger your rebuy should be somewhere in between and will depend on how aggressive the game is.

In an aggressive game 8 BB will probably suffice. In a passive game 6 BB would probably do it. You can never tell when a normally passive game will turn aggressive. It is a shame to run out of chips when you hold quads and your opponent has a full house.

05-10-2002, 04:25 PM
Re-buy when you get down to 5 or fewer big bets; or at any time before that when you feel yourself getting low. Never let yourself get below 4 BB, ever.

-MD