PDA

View Full Version : Cold Cards at Final 2 Tables - What can I do?

Poker Jon
12-23-2003, 09:47 AM
Hey all,

Played in a Stars $20 multi yesterday. 336 runners (36 paid top money is on final table - generally in top 5). Was in 1st place with around 50 players left. Kept my lead until about 40 players left, whereby I managed to keep my chip lead (about 40k) and then double it up in the small blind KK against A10 against another 35k stack.

That is where my cards dried up. I have never seen such a bad run. Obviously made it into the money, but as soon as we got to the final two tables, I got a series of 72o, Q3o, K6o etc etc etc. Literally hand after hand I had to muck. I managed to steal a couple of times. The only times I managed to see a decent hand (or what started to look like a decent hand!) someone in front of me raised!!!

So I get to the final table in second chip position with about 90k chip leader has 130k and the rest is faiurly evenly spread between 20 and 50k each player. Blinds are at 2000/4000.

Now this is where I have my problem. I continue to get nothing. The smaller stacks are going all in nearly every flop and I find myself continually questioning whether to call with marginal hands like QJs k10o etc. Decide against, as they have enough chips to hurt my stack.

Then the next three hands were my downfall. Down to eight players and I have about 75k - blinds still 2k/4k. I get A10s (this looks like a monster now!). MP min raises. Folded to me, I think about coming over the top but decide that his 40k could seriously damage my chances of winning and fold. He shows me JJ.

Next hand same player raises min again. I find myself with AJo and decide to raise to 24k. Next player rer-raises all in for a further 6k. Raiser thinks and folds. I know Im beat but I call - lost to AK.

Next hand I get AQs (I have about 45k left). Same EP raises again (they have about 55k), I re-raise all in and get called by the raiser with 88 and I am out in eighth.

Is this just one of those things I should accept, or was I unlucky?? Are there times when you literally go card cold and can't seem to get anything? What do you do about it?

Were these plays justified at a final table? Did anyone think i played poorly? Could I have done anything differently??

Many thanks in advance.

LetsRock
12-23-2003, 10:34 AM
Boy - must be rough. Building a monster stack before the cold spell. I can't beleive anyone even needs to ask about cold stretches. They are the norm for me.

The few times I am in a big chip position I don't get crazy over A high hands against anyone that can more than dent me. Following a cold spell, these cards lure you into thinking they're the best you gonna get so you overplay 'em and they cost you. I'll usually open raise with 'em (not monster raises) and play them accordingly. If someone gets in my face, I drop 'em quick unless I'm feeling really strong (ie got some big help on the board).

There's nothing you can do about cold spells. Consider yourself fortunate that it happened after you got some fat to live off of. Try starting the tournament with nothing but rags until you bleed to death.

redwings03
12-23-2003, 05:32 PM
You built a big stack through solid play, you have the advantage but chips move around quickly with antes, blinds at final table. You open your playbook a little at the final table but don't need to do anything foolish. I made the final $100 event 365 entries and end up losing my whole stack which I get in pre flop KK to Q8 of diamonds. Chew on that one for a little while as I went out in 8th when there was a 10k first prize out there.

Mike Gallo
12-23-2003, 06:18 PM
Is this just one of those things I should accept, or was I unlucky?? Are there times when you literally go card cold and can't seem to get anything? What do you do about it

You became impatient. Let them knock each other out. You went on a form of tilt at the end. Do not try and "make" things happen.

CrisBrown
12-24-2003, 12:21 AM
Hi Poker Jon,

I can't be too too sympathetic (it was nice to play with you, btw) as I was cold-decked that entire tourney. I folded 131 of 144 hands (as I recall), because I rarely had a hand worth calling a raise on, and every pot was raised.

So ... I'd rather be cold-decked at the final two tables than cold-decked for the entire tourney. *laughs*

Cris

Poker Jon
12-24-2003, 05:49 AM
MG,

I appreciate what you are saying but in previous finals ultratight play has only managed to get me to 4th or 5th. This time I was trying to make an effort at winning the tourney, so I wanted to play a little differently.

An critique on the 3 plays that lead to my downfall?? Would you guys have done the same thing?

Then the next three hands were my downfall. Down to eight players and I have about 75k - blinds still 2k/4k. I get A10s (this looks like a monster now!). MP min raises. Folded to me, I think about coming over the top but decide that his 40k could seriously damage my chances of winning and fold. He shows me JJ.

Next hand same player raises min again. I find myself with AJo and decide to raise to 24k. Next player rer-raises all in for a further 6k. Raiser thinks and folds. I know Im beat but I call - lost to AK.

Next hand I get AQs (I have about 45k left). Same EP raises again (they have about 55k), I re-raise all in and get called by the raiser with 88 and I am out in eighth.

Can I ask as well, would anybody fold with 88 in this situation. I had enough chips to hurt his stack. I may have considered folding had the roles been reversed. I know its the same old small fav or big dog argument!!!!

Cheers for your responses already