PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Drinks - ?

Zeno
12-23-2003, 02:50 AM
Does anyone have some favorite Christmas Drinks they are willing to share? Special eggnog mixes, or mixed drinks, or spiced punch drinks etc.

I have been drinking Mojitos while listening to Leon Redbone's Christmas Island CD. They mix well together. A mojito is light rum, sweetened water with fresh squeezed limejuice in it; pop into cocktail shaker with crushed ice and mix well. Add fresh mint leaves, crush them some if you want as this releases the mint oil and adds to the flavor. Mix proportions as needed or required for individual taste.

Of course, you could just get a bottle of Yukon Jack and pour it down your esophagus until you pass out. Like they do in Montana.

-Zeno

Ray Zee
12-23-2003, 10:30 AM
whats wrong with you man. you been talking too much to those weenies around here. adding mint to your good booze, have you lost it. forget all that poetry stuff and literature and have a good stiff drink of anything straight.

elwoodblues
12-23-2003, 10:42 AM
/images/graemlins/grin.gif I always tell people that I like "sissy drinks" --- basically anything with an umbrella.

Gamblor
12-23-2003, 10:54 AM
Same drink as always.

Sleeman Cream Ale or Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale.

If you're ever in Canada try it. Makes Miller/Sam Adams/Busch/Bud/Coors taste like gopher piss. The stale kind.

scotnt73
12-23-2003, 10:55 AM
during the holidays the wife and i break out the Baileys and hot chocolate with whip cream....Mmmmmmmmmmmmm...nothing like catching a buzz on hot chocolate..lol

elwoodblues
12-23-2003, 11:00 AM
Tom & Jerry's are pretty good holiday drinks.

Also, my new favorite drink is a Cosmopolitan.

MMMMMM
12-23-2003, 11:11 AM
Ray, I have been wondering, what's the best kind of moonshine? I have heard that's a real man's drink.

HDPM
12-23-2003, 11:31 AM
See Zee's post above. Some bourbon on the rocks is nice. For a winter warm up some Laphroaig in a glass is good.

For you seasonal beer folks, try a winter beer. Deschutes Jubelale. It is heavy and good. Very good American micro. You may not have it in your area. Zee should be able to find it. And Zeno, or at least his Oregon relatives.

HDPM
12-23-2003, 11:34 AM
Breaking out the Bailey's, hotchocolate, wife, and whipped cream is fine, but you don't have to put them all in the same glass and ruin it. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Joe Tall
12-23-2003, 12:14 PM
Having bartended for year and coming from a lineage of bartenders, I've have few:

Hot Buttered Rum:

Boil Apple Cider
Put 2-oz of Dark rum in a 16oz Mug, drop a stick of cinnamon in the mug and a pat of butter. (my dad adds a twist of lemon). Pour the cider over the butter and and cinnamon in the mug.

I used to work a martini bar in Boston and made this one during the holdidays:

Christmastini:

4 oz chilled martini glass

Add to shaker:
1 oz Stoli Vanil
1 oz White Creme de Cacao
1 oz Cream de Menthe

Shake and strain into glass.

Then there is my classice "New Year's DUI" punch:

1 Pineapple
2 Nectarens or Peaches
2 Apples
1 Honey Dew Mellon
1 Cantalope
Grapes add to the look of it if you wish and are fun to eat.

1 Liter Vodka
1 Liter Clear Rum
1 Pint of PeachTree
1 Pint of Triple Sec
2 Two liters of Ginger Ale
2 Gallons of Red or Orange Hi-C
1/2 Gallon of Sherbert
5 pound bag of Ice

Cut up all the fruit (1/2 pineapple, 1/2 Honey Dew, 1/2 Cantalope is good enough - I use a mellon baller) and put it in a large punch bowl (I know this is a lot of fruit use what you wish according to your bowl). It's good to have extra fruit to make more when it's all gone.

Add the fruit to the punch bowl over ice.

Pour in the Vodka/Rum/Peachtree/Triple-Sec in this volumetric ratio:

1/1/.25/.25

Be easy on the Peachtree, it's only for flavor and can dominate the punch if you add too much.

Let the fruit and booze sit for a 1/2 hour over the ice.

Add Ginger Ale/Punch at 1/1 voumetrically, leaving room for 1/4 gallon of sherbert to float on top.

Take everyone's car keys away and serve. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Add friut, sherbert and booze/ale/punch as needed.

All of it makes about 5 gallons and will serve 25-30.

Happy Holidays,
Joe Tall

scotnt73
12-23-2003, 12:34 PM
my wife went to her work christmas party last week and came back raving about the cosmopolitans she drank.

Joe Tall
12-23-2003, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
came back raving

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that 'raving' or babbling drunk?

Try this twist on a 'cosmo' for the ladies.

I call it a 'metro':

Chilled martini glass.

1 Oz Vodka (I perfer Kettle One for martinis)
1/2 Oz triple sec (or use Contreau)
1/2 Oz Chambord
1/2 Oz Cranberry
1/2 Oz Lime Juice (however, I like to squeeze a 1/4 lime into the shaker)

Shake on ice and strain into the glass.

The girls love it as it's a purple color.

Peace,
JT

andyfox
12-23-2003, 01:16 PM
Oban straight up.

Egg nog, schmeg nog, that stuff is yucky.

Zeno
12-23-2003, 01:58 PM
Oban link: Oban (http://www2.adhoc.net/scubi/whisky/scotch/malts/Oban.htm)

In the "tasting note" the supposed "long smooth finish" caught my eye.

Is this a reference to the scotch, or sex? Or perhaps a blend of both for us older guys?

-Zeno

Zeno
12-23-2003, 02:11 PM
Thanks Joe - Great Punch Recipe. Reminds me of a concoction we use to call ‘Purple Jesus Punch’. It was usually all kinds of fruit, fruit juice, and club soda or 7-Up, and then everyone brought different liquors to the party and they were added, one and all. The drink got ugly towards the end, that is, if you could still notice. If you drank enough you were suppose to see a Purple Jesus. I never made it.

-Zeno

John Cole
12-23-2003, 02:24 PM
I plan on reading some poetry, watching a few French movies, and belting down Maker's Mark right out of the bottle. Can I recommend a few good poems for you Ray?

Joe Tall
12-23-2003, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Reminds me of a concoction we use to call ‘Purple Jesus Punch’. It was usually all kinds of fruit, fruit juice, and club soda or 7-Up, and then everyone brought different liquors to the party and they were added, one and all. The drink got ugly towards the end, that is, if you could still notice. If you drank enough you were suppose to see a Purple Jesus. I never made it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I use a purple colored Hi-C...can I borrow the name? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I make different verisons of the punch as the seasons roll around.

My most memorable to date was a 25 gallon mix during a summer party that included 2-gallons of Vodka and 2-gallons of Rum...100+ people at a pool side party. It was nearly 5 years ago and I still hear stories that I've never heard from that party that make my eyes roll. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Happy Holidays,
Joe Tall

ElSapo
12-23-2003, 03:03 PM
Shot of tequila. Beer chaser.

Repeat.

CCass
12-23-2003, 03:58 PM
My family makes "Boiled Custard" every year at Christmas (it is similar to eggnog, but better). A mixture of 2/3 Boiled Custard and 1/3 JAck Daniels is best. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

scotnt73
12-23-2003, 04:32 PM
if you wanna see Jesus just eat the fruit after the punch is gone. been there done that....never ever again /images/graemlins/confused.gif

rtucker5
12-23-2003, 04:34 PM
I've always been a fan of a good single malt.

We mixed bourbon with egg nog one year because we were out of rum. It was ok.

Joe Tall
12-23-2003, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if you wanna see Jesus just eat the fruit after the punch is gone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shhhhhhhhh! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Happy Holidays,
Joe Tall

Ray Zee
12-23-2003, 08:47 PM
belt out some robert service john, and you can get some credibility as a he-man.

Ray Zee
12-23-2003, 08:51 PM
everclear is the closest to it.

i would tell what kind of straight alcohol works but i am afraid someone would buy the wrong type and poison themselves. it is easy to find out.

Diplomat
12-23-2003, 09:52 PM
From late November through St. Patricks' Day the drink of choice should be the Irish Car Bomb. Take 3/4 a pint of Guiness and drop in a shot of Jamieson's and a shot of Baileys. It tastes like chocolate milk going down, but hits like...well...a car bomb when the cream curdles in your stomach. I recommend drinking it very quickly, preferably all at once. Fun stuff. I'd only do a max of 2 per night. Otherwise the hangover fairy will punch you in the face come morning.

Chase with Dalwhine, and it's all good.

-Diplomat

J_V
12-23-2003, 10:18 PM
attaboy, diplomat. You gonna be around Vegas for the WSOP, we should meet up and drop a few bombs before the St. Patty's Day deadline hits. Or is that in March...hmmmm?

Diplomat
12-23-2003, 10:56 PM
Unfortunately I'll still be in the deep, deep freeze that is Kingston, Ontario on St. Patty's day, but I'm going to try to make a WSOP trip this year. I've got a dream! A dream of winning the 2K pot-limit event! (As sad as it is, Daniel Negreanu is a role model -- he's from Canada, played in the same rooms I haunt, and won that even when he was a young punkass too...I guess he's just a punkass now. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif ) And since I'll probably be unemployed this summer, I could use the extra cash. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

-Diplomat

Zeno
12-24-2003, 01:43 AM
I purchased some Dalwhine in a duty free shop at the Canadian border going up to Whistler BC one year. It was a very smooth scotch and I thought it quite enjoyable. Of course, anything is enjoyable compared to Old Crow. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

The name seems to fit your suggested drink so it is obviously worth a try.

-Zeno

J_V
12-24-2003, 02:28 AM
Then the first car bomb is one me. I'm eyeing the 2-7 triple draw. I just want a bracelet, so when I suck out with 10-4s, I can tell them to bitch to the bracelet.