PDA

View Full Version : An AA Hand, pair on board

Johnny Empire
12-22-2003, 02:43 PM
Party .5/1, 10 players. Loose, fairly passive (except this hand, anyway) LP here is a calling station, and has been losing a good amount.

EP with A /images/graemlins/heart.gif A /images/graemlins/club.gif

Hero raises, MP calls, LP raises, SB calls, I cap, they call... 4 to the flop for 8.5 BB.

The flop:
8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I bet (to see where I'm at), MP folds, LP raises, SB folds, I call. 2 to the turn for 10.5 BB.

I called this because I didn't think him for raising preflop with an 8. Should I 3-bet here?

The turn: 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I check, LP checks.

Now I'm not sure where I stand, expected him to bet. I would have called a bet as I've seen LP play marginal hands to showdown.

The river: 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I check, LP bets, I call. - 12.5 BB.
--

I tend to freeze up with pair on board situations. Would betting the river been effective, since LP checked the turn? Comments appreciated, results to follow.

Johnny

"They are at war with luck." - Sklansky, on professional poker players

Johnny Empire
12-22-2003, 02:52 PM
LP turns over 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif for the rivered boat. Meh.

JDErickson
12-22-2003, 03:07 PM
I would have 3 bet the flop and if raised again then slow down. If he just calls your flop 3 bet, then lead out on the turn.

Questionable if you will get him to lay down 99 but with your play you told him his hand ws better than yours when it wasn't. If I was your opponent I would put you on AK and I would have stayed in the hand.

Jim

Aces McGee
12-22-2003, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I called this because I didn't think him for raising preflop with an 8. Should I 3-bet here?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you didn't figure him for an 8 (which is good, btw), then why are you just calling? Only one non-8 hand bets you here: JJ. I'd 3-bet, call a cap, and lead out on the turn.

McGee