PDA

View Full Version : From the Onion

thomastem
12-22-2003, 01:15 PM
Not meant to hurt Hutz's feelings in anyway I saw this article in "The Onion" and thought it was important for this time of year. Again not meant to be deragatory to those living in the Houston area. Article copied below:

Advertisement

BAGHDAD, IRAQ—On almost every corner in Iraq's capital city, carolers are singing, trees are being trimmed, and shoppers are rushing home with their packages—all under the watchful eye of U.S. troops dedicated to bringing the magic of Christmas to Iraq by force.

Above: U.S. soldiers instruct an Iraqi to tell Santa what he wants for Christmas.
"It's important that life in liberated Iraq get back to normal as soon as possible," said Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz at a press conference Monday. "That's why we're making sure that Iraqis have the best Christmas ever—something they certainly wouldn't have had under Saddam Hussein's regime."

To that end, 25,000 troops from the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment and 82nd Airborne Division have been deployed. Their missions include the distribution of cookies and eggnog at major Iraqi city centers, the conscription of bell-ringers from among the Iraqi citizenry, and the enforcement of a new policy in which every man, woman, and child in Baghdad pays at least one visit to 'Twas The Night... On Ice.

Immediately following the press conference, high-altitude bombers began to string Christmas lights throughout the greater-Baghdad area, and Wild Weasel electronic-warfare fighter jets initiated 24-hour air patrols to broadcast Bing Crosby's "White Christmas" over the nation. Armored columns struck out from all major allied firebases to erect a Christmas tree in the town square of every city, while foot soldiers placed fully lit, heavily guarded nativity scenes in front of every Iraqi mosque.

"Thus far, Operation Desert Santa has gone off without a hitch," said Gen. Stanley Kimmet, commander of U.S. armed reconnaissance-and-mistletoe operations in the volatile Tikrit region of central Iraq. "There has been sporadic house-to-house fighting during our door-to-door caroling, but that's to be expected in a Christmas season of this magnitude."

According to Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez, the top American military commander in Iraq, every precaution is being taken to ensure the peaceful enforcement of the Christmas season in occupied Iraq.

"All American military personnel have been instructed that the observation of Christmas should be carried out efficiently and tastefully, with minimal emphasis on the season's commercial aspects," said Sanchez, who addressed reporters while a decorations division strung wreaths and garlands outside his headquarters. "We must keep in mind that the reason for the season-oriented campaign is for Iraq to celebrate the birth of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ."

An aide for Sanchez later explained that, in order to ensure a meaningful holiday season for all Iraqis, provisions were made for those Iraqis who elected to observe Hanukkah.

Above: A mosque in Baghdad decorated by U.S. troops.
Like many U.S. operations in Iraq, Operation Desert Santa has met with some resistance. A convoy transporting fruitcake and gingerbread came under rocket attack Sunday night just outside Checkpoint Noël in Basra, and unidentified bands of Iraqis exchanged gunfire with Marines operating an armored Humvee simulated sleigh ride in a Baghdad suburb. In spite of these troubles, regional commanders report progress, with only eight U.S. casualties resulting from the operation.

Still, Iraqis report that they are unable to get into the Christmas spirit.

"Why am I supposed to feel joy for the world?" said 34-year-old Baghdad mechanic Hassan al-Ajili as he stood in line for his mandatory visit with Santa. "My country is still at war. I need an American identification card to get anywhere in my own city. Now, for some reason, men with machine guns have placed two rows of jingling antlered pigs on the roof of our house. This is insane."

Bush, speaking from his Crawford ranch, praised the brave men and women of Operation Desert Santa and asked for the understanding of all Americans.

"We must be patient with the Iraqis," said Bush, seated before a Christmas tree dotted with Scottish terrier ornaments. "The holidays can be a very stressful time, especially for people not yet used to the customs. I'm sure Iraq will enjoy the happiest of holiday seasons if we show resolve and commit to making sure that they do."

President Bush then called for 30,000 new troops to be deployed in the next week to ensure an effective and precise enforcement of Christmas throughout the region. Salvation and Eighth Army detachments will be stationed on every corner by Christmas Eve to make sure that every last Iraqi citizen spends the holiday at home, with family.

Sanchez said he is confident that he can meet that deadline.

"A merry Christmas in Iraq means peace in the Middle East has finally been achieved," Sanchez said. "God bless us, every one." -The Onion *Not Hutz

Rick Nebiolo
12-22-2003, 04:19 PM
Because of copyright you should post a link to the article. For example, here is the the link to the Onion article I simply cut and pasted in:

http://www.theonion.com/3949/top_story.html

Here is a link with title using the Instant UBB Code Tool:

Onion Article (http://www.theonion.com/3949/top_story.html)

Regards,

Rick

hutz
12-22-2003, 07:08 PM
Be careful, Rick. By pointing out a flaw in TT's posting techniques, you will join rkiray, Joe Tall, and me (among others) on TT's paranoid rantings hitlist.

By the way, thomas -- if we want to read The Onion, we can go to the source. There's no need for you to reproduce it here.

thomastem
12-22-2003, 08:16 PM
I didn't know I had a problem with Joe Tall. Though I differ in some issues with Rkiray I do respect that he doesn't run to mommie when he has a problem. The no beating around the bush that he believes in I respect as well. He just happens to like Grey Poupon.

In news views other's copy and paste articles from time to time and I don't see you saying the same thing to them. I thought I read somewhere not to post links so I copied and pasted. Thank you Rick for pointing me in the right direction.

Mr. Hutz I challenged you to a last longer contest, you declined because you didn't want to post what you call spam. I changed the offer to strictly money equal to buy-in and you dissapeared.

You are the only coward I know on this forum.

Ray Zee
12-22-2003, 08:25 PM
yea, just putting up a link is a waste of time. plus people without dsl have to wait maybe a minute for these sites to load. too long to go to someones link. so posting the article is the best way.

thomastem
12-22-2003, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yea, just putting up a link is a waste of time. plus people without dsl have to wait maybe a minute for these sites to load. too long to go to someones link. so posting the article is the best way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you Mr. Zee.

I just think that someone didn't like something humorous on here but if you can't have a chuckle at this time of the year when can you?

Mr. Hutz I am sorry if this post somehow offended you.

mike l.
12-22-2003, 08:38 PM
"Operation Desert Santa"

theyre getting a little lazy over there at the onion methinks.

Joe Tall
12-22-2003, 08:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't know I had a problem with Joe Tall.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know you did either. You'd know it by now it you did or not. I am confident of that.

I answer your posts the same everytime, and you reply with civility.

Peace tho,
Joe Tall

thomastem
12-22-2003, 08:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't know I had a problem with Joe Tall.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know you did either. You'd know it by now it you did or not. I am confident of that.

I answer your posts the same everytime, and you reply with civility.

Peace tho,
Joe Tall

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you, I didn't think we had a problem.

hutz
12-22-2003, 11:50 PM
Re: Joe Tall -- Don't forget the "forum nazi" posts from a few months back, which stemmed from you asking thomas to quit posting his inane, random animal messages in the SS forum. Fortunately for you, he has kept his paranoid sights primarily on me since then.

Re: thomas -- I have stayed out of your threads despite the fact you have begun half of them with pot shots at me. I finally got tired of it. Making your cheap shots is cowardly, TT. I am anything but a coward. I told you when you made your "challenge" that you weren't worth my time and you still aren't. Whether one of us would last longer in a single tournament would not prove anything. Let's drop this -- I don't want to see you refer to me in any more posts, either by "hutz" or by other implicit references like "Jabba" or "what a quarterback says (hut 1, hut 2)" as you have done in other posts. I'm a very patient, tolerant guy, but you've really tap danced on my last nerve.

thomastem
12-23-2003, 12:10 AM
Hutz, Joe tall and I don't have any problems please stop trying to spread problems.

Ray Zee called you on your trying to stop me from posting articles. You don't own the forum and can't dictate what you want people to post. Even if it is humor in a Poker forum.

It is ok if I'm not worth your time, but you seem to spend much time on my post here with me.

Mr. Hutz you seem sad and lonely keep your chin up.

Joe Tall
12-23-2003, 12:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't forget the "forum nazi" posts from a few months back, which stemmed from you asking thomas to quit posting his inane, random animal messages in the SS forum. Fortunately for you, he has kept his paranoid sights primarily on me since then.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I haven't forgotten. However, I thought I was cordial and diligent with my replies. Seemingly, tho has agreed and keeps his off-topic material in the appropreiate forums.

Peace,
JT

Clarkmeister
12-23-2003, 03:18 AM
You make money from copyrighted material. This is a website for a company (your employer) which makes money from copyrighted material. Mason has in the past posted 2+2 material from books on this site and (rightfully so)specifically requested that it not be reprinted elsewhere. Their website (like this one) derives income from advertising and traffic. The right thing is simply to link to the source article.

Robk
12-23-2003, 03:25 AM
I'm pretty sure Ray was being sarcastic.

Ray Zee
12-23-2003, 08:23 PM
no, i guess i wasnt clear as usual. you should provide a link to the article or give credit.
but you should also paste the article as many cant access it easily, myself included. if i have to go to a website and wait for it to downlaod, it takes so much time i dont do it.

and yes we can all post funny articles if only funny to the poster or not. as long as its in good taste why not. remember we are all from different parts of the world and have different views. too bad everyone dosent agree with mine but i will have to live with that.

rkiray
12-23-2003, 09:12 PM
We do seem to be getting along better. The only real problem I had with you was when you were spamming SS and encouraging Husker to with a bet (and I admit I didn't complain before hand (here's a secret, I thought about it but I thought Husker would beat you, boy did he let me down)). You arn't doing that anymore. I never cared about critter posts in the zoo or here.

thomastem
12-24-2003, 10:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Be careful, Rick. By pointing out a flaw in TT's posting techniques, you will join rkiray, Joe Tall, and me (among others) on TT's paranoid rantings hitlist.

By the way, thomas -- if we want to read The Onion, we can go to the source. There's no need for you to reproduce it here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to break down this statement Mr. Hutz.

1. I never criticized Rick he and I have no ongoing problem.
2. Rkiray doesn't have an ongoing problem with me.
3. Joe Tall doesn't have an ongoing problem with me.
4. You want me to stop copying and pasting humorous articles from sources like "The Onion" but nothing in 2+2s rules says I can't and now one of the pro writers has corrected you and said a little humor is good and copy/pasting is ok.

This is after all the News, Views, and Gossip forum. Here in the holiday season there is nothing wrong with cracking a smile.

If I have truly offended or hurt your feelings I appologize. Let's bury any annimosities it's X-mas.

hutz
12-24-2003, 03:48 PM
Your posts about me are always so full of distortions and spin I often wonder whether you are really Baghdad Bob.

1. I was warning Rick that by pointing out your inappropriate posting behavior (both reproducing copyrighted material and posting non-gambling material in a forum other than the "other topics" forum) he was opening himself up to your irrational, paranoid attacks in the future. I never said you two were at odds nor was I trying to put you there.

2/3. You had problems with both rkiray and JoeTall after they pointed out your improper posts. If you are on good terms with them now, I'm happy for all of you. Seriously. I wasn't trying to fan any flames and I hope you stay on good terms. What this points out, however, is that you have kept a grudge against me for some reason when I have done nothing any different from what others have done. Do you not like TV cartoon lawyers for some reason?

4. What I want from you, TT, is for you to quit mucking-up gambling-related forums (this one, SS, etc.) with non-gambling materials (copy/pasted articles from The Onion, posts about "critters" that are wholly devoid of poker content, etc.). To the extent you are going to make those non-gambling posts, they should go in the appropriate forum -- the "other topics" section. It's that simple.

The other day, I posted the following:

Let's drop this -- I don't want to see you refer to me in any more posts, either by "hutz" or by other implicit references like "Jabba" or "what a quarterback says (hut 1, hut 2)" as you have done in other posts.

I made that request prior to you sneaking another cheap shot at me into ElSapo's post. I'm going to repeat it here -- please drop this. If you'll quit making inappropriate posts and stop taking cheap shots at (or even referencing) me, we'll be on good terms just like you are with the others who have pointed out your inappropriate behavior. Is there any reason you can't accept this offer?

Wake up CALL
12-24-2003, 04:41 PM
Jesus Hutz, Jabba, Hut 1 Hut 2 or whatever you prefer! TT apologized to you in the previous post. You should either accept it, ignore him or get a life, your chioce.

hutz
12-24-2003, 05:15 PM
I don't want/need an apology from him. What I want is for him to quit making references to me in his posts. He doesn't do it to others and he shouldn't do it to me.

thomastem
12-26-2003, 11:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Your posts about me are always so full of distortions and spin I often wonder whether you are really Baghdad Bob.

1. I was warning Rick that by pointing out your inappropriate posting behavior (both reproducing copyrighted material and posting non-gambling material in a forum other than the "other topics" forum) he was opening himself up to your irrational, paranoid attacks in the future. I never said you two were at odds nor was I trying to put you there.

2/3. You had problems with both rkiray and JoeTall after they pointed out your improper posts. If you are on good terms with them now, I'm happy for all of you. Seriously. I wasn't trying to fan any flames and I hope you stay on good terms. What this points out, however, is that you have kept a grudge against me for some reason when I have done nothing any different from what others have done. Do you not like TV cartoon lawyers for some reason?

4. What I want from you, TT, is for you to quit mucking-up gambling-related forums (this one, SS, etc.) with non-gambling materials (copy/pasted articles from The Onion, posts about "critters" that are wholly devoid of poker content, etc.). To the extent you are going to make those non-gambling posts, they should go in the appropriate forum -- the "other topics" section. It's that simple.

The other day, I posted the following:

Let's drop this -- I don't want to see you refer to me in any more posts, either by "hutz" or by other implicit references like "Jabba" or "what a quarterback says (hut 1, hut 2)" as you have done in other posts.

I made that request prior to you sneaking another cheap shot at me into ElSapo's post. I'm going to repeat it here -- please drop this. If you'll quit making inappropriate posts and stop taking cheap shots at (or even referencing) me, we'll be on good terms just like you are with the others who have pointed out your inappropriate behavior. Is there any reason you can't accept this offer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sir I enjoyed my school years but I can't bring myself to go back their. I have too many critters that I'm responsible for now.

I have no grudge with you but I do have a hard time keeping my composure (not belly laughing) when I'm at work as you continue this. Rkiray and Joe Tall didn't keep adding fuel.

1. If I can't call you Hutz how do I address you? "Your Honor" and "Your Excellency" just doesn't seem appropriate.

2. As for my posts, honestly who are you to criticize? Ray Zee posted that humorous off topic articles can and should be copied and pasted with link.

3. Your attack on my posts while El Sapo's OT post doesn't have your criticism displays that you aren't attacking OT posts but mine specifically.

Life is too short for this. Life is meant to be enjoyed. I am sorry if you have a hard time with humour. I'm sorry if you dislike me. I'm sorry if you feel my posting privileges should be banned but the owners of 2+2 don't. I'm sorry that silly crap like me saying jabba or the NFL calling Hut1 Hut2 keep you up at night. Im sorry that you are fixated on being upset with such silly stuff and can't just relax and enjoy life.

Spend some time on a farm and just play with the critters. Yes I know Paris Hilton is having a tough go of it but you can do it. Relax enjoy simple things.

thomastem
12-26-2003, 12:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hutz, I reread this and you've got a set on you I give you that. Ray Zee twice posted that OT humor from a source like the Onion is allowed yet you keep it up. Also the first time you complained to Matt Sklansky about my critter talk and me being banned I got a PM from him asking me to stick to Poker. I was relatively new to the forum so I posted in the Zoo what happened and some posters vouched for me. David Skylanski PM'd stating that my critters were fine.

You don't own 2+2. You don't have a right dictate contrary to ownership. If Ray Zee, Mason Malmuth, or one of the Skylanski's tell me to stop including critters in my story (Terry Bradshaw does for Fox's football pregame on Sunday and it's a big hit") I will do so. If they, not you, tell me I can't post a humorous article occassionally in the News/Views and gossip forum I will stop.

Hutz this really was stupid and I'm tired of trying to be nice and placate you. Grow up!