PDA

View Full Version : AA UTG early in Tourney

SossMan
12-22-2003, 12:38 PM
Hey all,

Played in my weekly (weak-ly?) $120 w/ (1) $100 rebuy tourney at Lucky Chances last night. There were 120 players. Fun tourney,
anyway here's the hand...

I'm chip leader at my table after doubling up just before the end of the rebuy period (an hour in).

Blinds are 75-150. My stack is T4150. Closest stack to mine is T3500. Most stacks are ~T2000.
I have a pretty tight-solid image. Most of my 3x raises have limited the field to more or less heads up. The only hand I have shown was my double up w/ A8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif on a legit button blind steal. Flopped top two and BB bet into me all in.
So I get AA UTG. There is one tricky aggressive player on the button who raises 50-60% of the time in LP w/ >2 limpers. I have been waiting for a time to limp-reraise him w/ a big hand. This seemed a good a time as any. So I limp. 5 more limpers (including 2nd stack) behind me and button folds. BB raps pat.

Whoops. That didn't go as planned.
/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Flop comes Q 5 7 rainbow.

BB checks...what's the play? (Besides contacting Michael J. Fox and seeing if I can ride shotgun in the Delorian)

GrinningBuddha
12-22-2003, 04:19 PM
Looks like a fairly innocuous flop. Bet the pot and see what happens...

Kurn, son of Mogh
12-22-2003, 04:32 PM
Go ahead and bet the pot. As GB said, not a bad flop.

redwings03
12-22-2003, 04:34 PM
Have not seen results yet, but I make a pot sized bet or so, let's limit the field and make coming along with bottom pair appear to be a bad idea. If someone comes in on you then re-evaluate the hand. If you are forced to fold it you still have a reasonable amount of chips, but let them know you mean business right away.

SossMan
12-22-2003, 04:46 PM
I bet the pot and was called by the other big stack. Turn was a offsuit 9 to make the board:

[Q 5 7] 9

I figure my aces are good, but don't want to give anyone odds to draw if they have a pair, so I go ahead and put it all in. I pray for him to go away or call with his KQ or QJ or some other piece of junk.

He thought, and thought, and thought....and thought (at this point, I figured I was ahead, and was really rooting for a crying call.
Be careful what you wish for, I guess...He reluctantly called w/ his Q5 for flopped two pair. No help for me on the river.

Interesting side note:
Very next hand, I get A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifk /images/graemlins/diamond.gif on my BB. Folded around to SB who completes, I go all in with my remaining 650, he calls in .0000237 seconds and flips AA.
For a little salt, the dealer flops
k /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
again, no help and I bust out on the bubble in 98th place. (big bubble)/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

GrinningBuddha
12-22-2003, 08:11 PM
Tough luck. It's quite tempting to limp-reraise with AA, but I think you need to be about 90% sure that someone will bump it in order to try it.

<obligatory sob-story example>

Late in a PL tourney, I have slightly above average stack and just call after UTG limper. BB gets in for free (curses, why didn't someone take a shot at the two weaklings?)

Flop comes J 9 9, BB check-raises me all-in. His QTo rivers a King, and I'm crippled. Bah.

</example>

I'm sure we all have regretful stories, so in most cases, just raise and be happy to win the blinds. It could be worse. /images/graemlins/smile.gif