PDA

View Full Version : Please analyze this NL hand

THE OUTLAW
12-22-2003, 06:42 AM
We're down to about 50 players in this NHLE super. I was the table's chip leader w/ T11,000 until an unknown player is moved to my table and seated to my immediate right. He has me covered by a couple thousand w/ the blinds at 300-600. In his second hand at the table he makes a likely steal raise and takes my BB. Very next hand...

He open raises from the button for 1,200. Another possible steal. I look down to see 77 and figure that this is a good time to show him that I wont be pushed around. Is this proper thinking? I dont want to be called here so i need to make a sizeable raise. I make it 5,000. Too much? He thinks for a bit and calls. Hmmm. I certainly wasnt planning on a call.

The flop comes Ad6d4h. Im thinking, How could I have gone from huge stack to having half of it in the pot and in this awful position. I think for a couple of seconds and check. He thinks for a couple of seconds and checks. Again, Hmmmm. I figure he doesnt like the Ace either and there is a good chance I can move him off of his hand whatever it is. I move in when a another 6 comes on the turn, he thinks for what seems like 10 minutes and calls w/ A9.

Ive thought about this hand a lot the past week and think that I know where my mistakes are, but I would like to hear from your opinions. Thanks.

LetsRock
12-22-2003, 11:32 AM
I always hate it when a big stacker sits down and starts stealing from the table. I don't think I'd have gotten this agressive with 77. I'd probably even just fold it. I hate being robbed, but I want a litle more ammo before trying to get back in his face. He's only been here 2 hands - I want a little better indication of what he's up to before I start risking my stack with a 77.

Kurn, son of Mogh
12-22-2003, 11:41 AM
We're down to about 50 players in this NHLE super. I was the table's chip leader w/ T11,000

Why even play 77? Depending on how many seats they're giving away, it may not be necessary to take many chances from here on in.

juris
12-22-2003, 11:42 AM
You nailed it on the head: you became pot committed in your head with a medium pair. If you pushed in preflop, he folds. He probably should have folded with A-9 for your sizeable raise, so who knows? The point is you know nothing about the guy. You still need a set to have power with that hand, I'd probably call to see the flop or fold.

You've got chips, don't fight out with another big stack unless you've got the goods.

45Player
12-22-2003, 12:05 PM
This player is seated on your immediate right which is great for you. However you go and throw away this advantage the one time he has position on you ! 77 is a very hard hand to play from the small blind - I think you should have folded pre-flop and waited for another opportunity to nail him when YOU have position.
Having said all that, I can’t argue with your decision to make a stand pre-flop. However your raise to 5000 was incorrect for your stack size. It is almost 50% of your stack so you would have been much better off going all-in. This would remove any difficult decisions post-flop, and the chances are that you would win the pot immediately which is what you want.
As the hand went I think you were a bit unlucky – I don’t think your opponent played it too well.

John_Manley
12-22-2003, 12:32 PM
I agree with KurnsonofMogh that in a satelite tournament, (where usually finising in the top 3 or 4 is not that important) that taking big risks with pocket 7s is unnecessary. I would not have any problem with you opening with 77 at 3-4x blind; however if you are called or raised by the chip leader then you would need to be very careful and consider folding if the reraise was substantial or if the opponent showed strength after the flop. In your situation I would have folded and would even have considered folding AK against the chip leader. If you do feel compelled to play the 77 when you are fairly sure they are just trying to steal the blind you should hit them a lot harder with the reraise. Most chip leaders do not want to risk there chip lead against another big stack. Hind site and Monday moring Q-back is easy. I'm no expert in poker tournaments but according to Sklansky in his book on poker tournament it is okay to try an steal blinds with marginal hands like A-9 but to call an opening bet even hands as strong as AK need to be played very judiciously.