PDA

View Full Version : JJ with overcard on flop

vargas
12-22-2003, 04:10 AM
Pacific 1/2

Pretty loose table. I'd only been there for about one orbit, but I'd already seen some questionable raises, including one from EP2 with Axs who figures in this hand.

I'm dealt J /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif on the button. EP1 calls, EP2 raises, EP3 calls, it's folded to me, and I decide to reraise. BB and EP1 call, then EP2 caps. Everyone calls. I'm still less than convinced that anyone really has a hand. Raises seem to beget raises so far at this table. A 10 BB pot greets this flop

5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Checked to EP2 who bets. EP3 calls and I raise. BB folds and everyone else just calls.

[5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif] 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Checked to me and I bet. Everyone calls.

[5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif] 10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

It's checked to me and I check. I probably would have checked even if a diamond hadn't fallen.

Should I have given it up on the flop? Checked through on the turn? JJ seems to be a tough hand for me to laydown, even with an overcard on the flop, when no one reraises me.

Results below
EP1 had 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif for the broken flush, EP2 had K /images/graemlins/spade.gif 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, and EP3 had J /images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif to take the pot.

taxat
12-22-2003, 05:00 AM
You played it well. I probably would have bet the river.

Joe Tall
12-22-2003, 08:50 AM
Preflop is perfect.

With your reads on the players your flop raise is ok.

Value betting the river in this situation may find your hand good more often than not, but checking through is not all that bad.

Welcome to the forum,
Joe Tall

Ed Miller
12-22-2003, 09:34 AM
I would have bet the river. You will get more crying calls than usual because the pot is large.

eh923
12-22-2003, 12:47 PM
I have issues in general with betting the river in situations like this.

Why is it a good idea for this hand? With multiple callers, this doesn't seem like a value bet. That, and since he showed aggression from the get-go, that 3rd /images/graemlins/diamond.gif would give anyone going for the flush a great check-raise opportunity.

I could see a river bet from early position to try to knock out Qx, but from the button I just don't get it!